Clips, cues.. how to trigger in track?

Hi all…

Big thanks to Paul, feels like a huge upgrade with 7.1, have not stopped playing with it since I installed it…

I am struggling with cues though… Watched Paul’s video, which helped me to work out how to populate tracks with clips, and after struggling with the manual (always do) I worked out how to use the cue markers, but how to trigger a clip from different tracks? The cue marker menu (right click) shows a single list of A-P clips, but which track is that from? Can I choose a clip from a different track?

Spent the last few hours trying to work out how to use clips, I love that there is now a library of sounds/beats so easily accessible, but figuring out how to incorporate them into a song eludes me… Cant see any guides anywhere (net/youtube etc), despite praying a little to the demi-god Unfa there is nothing out there I can find to show me how to use these shiny toys…

Any help would be very appreciated…

Cues (“scenes” in Ableton Live) are not per-track. They refer to a given set of slots across all tracks (some of which may be empty and some may be full but set to “cue isolated” meaning they will not be affected by launching a cue.

I’m not sure which of my videos you’re referring to - I only made one about clips and that was in the very early days of working on this. It is certainly not a reference.

You should probably watch (likely all?) of this:

Hey Paul…

I was referring to that video you made way back (Oct 21), really have not been able to find anything else out there. The video link you shared shows someone using mixbus and just clicking on the samples to play them, still cant see any way of integrating any of it into a song, except using the cue markers of which I can only select one set of clips (A-P) to do this with.

Have spent some time today playing with all sorts of midi and audio samples, managed to populate several tracks with useful clips, I am just not seeing how to work them into a song, suspect the answer may be staring me in the face but nothing I try seems to get anything other than one track of clips to play.

I have no idea what mixbus or ableton live are, am I supposed to know these things in order to use cues in Ardour? Will do some research tomorrow…

Mixbus and Ardour are identical in this area, and the link should have been to an entire Youtube playlist of a dozen or more videos covering many different aspects of clips/cues.

That said, I personally regard clips & cues primarily as a way to quickly evaluate possible musical / sonic ideas rather than necessarily as the way to compose a finished piece.

I just watched and learnt a lot! Clip launching is really adding to an already great piece of software, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.