Clip launching: a first glimpse of a major new feature for ardour 7

yes i referring section follow for random play clip :grinning: hi Paul

gennaro

Thanks very much Paul.

We use QLab, too. Itā€™s fine for video playback and simpler audio things, especially linking it to light cues simply works really good. But IMHO that is no reason not to consider theatrical playback in Ardour.

Ok, I understand. Yes, you are right, that would create chaos. Maybe one option would be to just implement an arrow to the left (undo) and to the right (redo) in the plugins, as is the case in many vst-plugins. Unfortunately not in the LV2 plugins. And this undo/redo function in plugins should perhaps only work if you control it manually with the mouse. So the user knows that CTRL-Z never applies to plugins.

I like the direction Ardour is going. It has all of the features and functions I enjoyed when I used Pro Tools / Logic but faster to execute, and now you have a tool similar to what Ableton offers. Ardour as a DAW is quite a steal IMO.

2 Likes

This sounds intriguing!

Just to double check, this would mean one could record a MIDI input as a clip and then loop it?

The MIDI clip then would either engage a virtual instrument or would be played back to a physical instrument via USB MIDI.

Is there

Is there a technical reason this cannot happen, or is it just a matter of someone doing the work to make it happen?

To be perfectly blunt, I just canā€™t be bothered. RAM these days is plentiful and cheap. If you want to load 30 minute pieces into the clip launching system, use Ableton Live. If youā€™re doing what most people will do, you wonā€™t even know that this distinction exists.

I suppose that makes sense for this use case. Iā€™m curious about the technical architecture of this. Is it available in the master branch or is it available in some other branch? How is it available in the UI?

I am in an early brainstorming phase for a new application that I want to be something between a traditional DJ application and a DAW. Clip launching isnā€™t quite what Iā€™m going for, though Iā€™m happy this is finally coming to Ardour! This new application will be designed around mixing finished songs together so loading whole audio files into RAM wouldnā€™t be a good idea for my use case.

I think that moreimpostant than programming new things is to improve the workflow and fixing bugs

2 Likes

ā€¦or Linux Show Player, if you prefer free/libre software.

4 Likes

Yea I just donā€™t know the capabilities of it quite as much to be able to say for certain what it can or canā€™t do:)

Seablade

Pretty damn cool! I just built Ardour7 and have been playing with clip launching and itā€™s quite fun. Seems stable on my modest computer running Ubuntu 20.04. Iā€™ve never used Ableton or another DAW with this feature so I havenā€™t quite wrapped my head around why itā€™s more useful than just doing the same thing in the tracker, but itā€™s certainly a cool feature to have. Took me a while to figure out to access it by opening Window > Cue Grid > Show Cues & then add tracks and the new clip launcher UI area shows up in case that helps anyone. I built it from the Github repo code and this is the info it shows:

Ardour 7.0.pre0.2367
ā€œMore Blank Than Frankā€
(rev 7.0-pre0-2367-g176c41a485)
Intel 64-bit - debug

Great to see such a feature coming to Ardour! Thanks for all the work!

THANK YOU!

Thatā€™s a fun feature Iā€™ve been longing for for ages.

Great work!

This is a great feature, especially when for building tracks, like backing tracks, using drum and chord loops.

Is there any plan or thoughts around extending this to support clip recording, as Ableton Live does? This would enable the use of Ardour in Live Looping performances.

Cheers,

Keith

Yes, we will (eventually) add recording directly into slots.

For the record, I donā€™t consider what is typically done with clips in Live to be ā€œlive loopingā€ - thatā€™s the domain of more specialized live looping tools. But yes, at some point youā€™ll be able to do that.

Iā€™m interested in why you say that. For the record, this is the sort of thing Iā€™m talking about:

Cheers,

Keith

I wouldnā€™t want to get into much of a fight about it really.

Traditionally, live looping (with ā€œlive loopersā€) typically involved stacking layers on a single axis. Liveā€™s workflow (as demoā€™ed by Rachel in your link) is much closer to a multi-tracked setup. You can focus on the fact that sheā€™s making loops ā€œliveā€, or that sheā€™s building up a complex multitrack arrangement - both are true, and both are desirable.

Doing what she does in that video on something like a Boss looper is significantly more difficult (though far from impossible).

Thatā€™s all I meant.

Fair enough, and I wasnā€™t looking for a fight either. I just see tools like this as something which is a step beyond most (for instance) typical Boss (or other vendors) loopers which, as you say, itā€™s more difficult to do this sort of thing in.

In general, most hardware loop pedals are limited by the number of tracks they support. For instance, a Boss RC-1 or RC-3 isnā€™t capable of doing a verse-chorus type song performance in, unless you pre-record the loops and put them into memory slots.

Of course, thereā€™s things like the Boss RC-500 (2 tracks), RC-300 (3 tracks) and RC-600 (6 tracks), and other vendors like the Looperlative but even with these itā€™s more difficult to pre-configure effects, pans, levels, etc.

Some of the more accomplished looping artists move beyond this with tools like Ableton Live and Mobius (which is what, I believe, Ed Sheeran uses) running on a PC where you have fewer track limits and more control in, for instance, pre-configuring effects and levels on tracks in advance of the performance,and in mapping external controls (like RKC does with filters) to do live control of the performance.

On the other hand, Iā€™ve seen amazing performances from the likes of DubFX with just a 3-track hardware looper and a hardware multifx board.

But my point is, thereā€™s not really a software tool on Linux that supports this sort of thing yet, and it would be really great to see one. Even if I lack the talent and skill to use such a tool well myself.

Iā€™m hoping that Ardour, eventually, can become that tool. And, maybe, win some fans from other platforms.

Cheers,

Keith