clean up sound

I have a custom machine running Ubuntu Hardy
AMD 64 Athlon X2 Dual core processer
4GB ram
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
1TB hard drive

I’m using a Korg Triton LE 61 key, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Behringer DJX 700 mixer, and Mackie MR5 studio reference monitors.

Every time I record something into Ardour I get a little noise/hiss and it kind of sounds dry. The signal is kind of weak aswell, so when I turn up the volume on my equipment or my mixer bang there’s the noise. Is there a plugin that can take care of that or do you think it’s my equipment that’s putting out the noise? Or is it my soundcard which I expect to be part of the problem?

I also run a electric guitar through the Triton and that also has noise. I need help!

Thanks

The Audigy 2 ZS is a piece of junk. You may have other problems as well that cause specific noise(s) (such as grounding, RF interference, and more), but if you care about sound quality, this is not the audio interface to be using.

What would you recommend?

To add to Pauls bashing, most Soundblasters (including the ZS, I think) do an internal resampling to 48 kHz so they’re not ideal for anything other than home demos (where you can live with having slightly degraded sound quality) anyway.

If you only need two channels input I’d recommend an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, they’re pretty cheap. Otherwise the Delta 44, 66 or 1010/LT give you more inputs.

The RME Hammerfalls are also a good choice.

Thanks for the input guys.

something i used to work with a lot and good for beginners is the hoontech dsp 2000… its quite old but you find it cheap on ebay and stuff… before i changed to rme I used that card for years… its not high end studio sound, but good to get into recording, has 8 jack ins and outs, digital spdif anf midi, 19" rack… and not to forget: with ubuntu works out of the box… my first cd release i recorded with that and mixed with ardour…