ChromebookPixel running Ubuntu

Hi,

Been through several Linux distros over the years but totally in love with my new hardware - a Google Chromebook Pixel. (thanks santa).

Straight in to dev mode, got my linux sorted (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) really impressed at the 2560 resolution and the processors are not even breaking a sweat. but…

All the defaults don’t seem compatible with getting Ardour instantly working. Just paid some more and downloaded the latest Ardour, installed it and it runs to create a session using JACKS as the audio system and ALSA for the driver (yes all ALSA kernal modules are ok) but Jacks or ALSA seem to be flipping out as there are no devices listed so cant create the session. I am sure i will crack this eventually but was wondering if anyone could give me a head start?

My instincts are that the problem might be something to do with the hardware being made busy by the chromebook operating system as i am running both ChromeOS and Ubuntu concurrently (yea cool :slight_smile: - works a treat) i have Ubuntu installed as a chroot and everything seems to work sweet except this.

I thought as both operating systems were using the same kernal and modules that they should be able to share the same sound system so i hope this is not the problem. Does anyone have any experience of setting up Ardour on a Chroombook Pixel chroot’ed with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Looking for an easy answer rather than wrecking my head over it.

Dam you autocorrect - what is a ‘kernal’ anyway. Please excuse the bad spelling of Kernel - i typed this on a galaxy tablet.

Sorted !!!

bit of googling, tried a few things then came across a bug report on the crouton github. It was going on about a 64bit chroot and a 32bit ALSA driver - they compiled a different arrangement of drivers in the Kernel to include both architectures and so fixed it - however i was already running this latest version of crouton so was not the issue.

A simple clue within the discussion of this issue lead me to the problem.

a small side note saying "make sure you add yourself to the “hwaudio” group. - DOU !!!.. simples

the fix:
sudo usermod -a -G hwaudio myusername

works a treat :slight_smile:

I thought as both operating systems were using the same kernal and modules that they should be able to share the same sound system so i hope this is not the problem.

Actually generally just the opposite I would think, assuming you are running the two simultaneously. Only one can utilize the hardware in general at a time. You run into the same thing with virtualization. That being said, I am not exactly sure how Crouton manages the hardware so I could be wrong, and I am assuming you are using Crouton?

This is the sort of problem that would be much easier to address on IRC as there are lots of commands that would likely need to be run to start looking at this.

Seablade

Heh glad you got it working then:)

Seablade