Change language in Ardour 7

It’s possible to change the language in ardour 7 in german?

I compiled/built it with the same options I used in 6.9.
No german language, it’s all in English.
System : Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 5.19.0-8.1-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC liquorix 5.19-8ubuntu1~focal (2022-09 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I think i have it now… It’s the po folder in gtk2_ardour. I replaced them with de po folder from ardour 6.9 and now it works. But I think that the translations are not complete in Ardour 7 with his new features

Odd. there should be no need for that.

I just tested it here with the official binary, and it works just fine:

~$ LANG=de_DE.UTF8 Ardour7 
Ardour7.0.0 (kompiliert mit Version 7.0 und GCC Version 6.3.0 20170516)
Ardour: [INFO]: Ihre Systemkonfiguration limitiert Ardour auf 1048576 geöffnete Dateien
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade Systemkonfigurationsdatei /opt/Ardour-7.0.0/etc/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade Benutzerkonfiguration /home/rgareus/.config/ardour7/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX-capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10610U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Setze CPU DMA Latenz auf 2 usec
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade Plugin-Metadatendatei /opt/Ardour-7.0.0/share/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade Plugin-Statistik Datei /home/rgareus/.config/ardour7/plugin_metadata/plugin_stats
Kann die SIGPIPE Fehlerbehandlung nicht installieren
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade voreingestellte UI-Konfigurationsdatei /opt/Ardour-7.0.0/etc/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade benutzerdefinierte UI-Konfigurationsdatei /home/rgareus/.config/ardour7/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Lade 454 MIDI Patches von /opt/Ardour-7.0.0/share/patchfiles

Since my system’s default language is not German, I had to set set LANG and also make sure the locale is available in /etc/locale.gen.

Hmm, i don’t know. I tried a couple of times, and never worked. But also on @HarryR os didn’t worked. The old po folder works now

To help me in my debugging:
where should *.po *.mo be installed ?
In Ardour6 my prefix was /usr/local
In Ardour7 my prefix was /opt/ardour-7.0

Build directory (/opt/make/Ardour-7.0.0/gtk2_ardour/po) :
harry@TheQuietOne:/opt/make/Ardour-7.0.0/gtk2_ardour/po$ ls -1
cs.mo
cs.po
cs.po~
de.po

and so on

Starting ardev from build dir:

Partly german partly English.
After that everything is in English

  1. you download the source code and unzip the package
  2. you replace the “po” folder from ardour 6.9 to ardour 7
  3. compile it

Bringing this thread to a “correct” end.
The answer is, that there was a (now fixed) bug in german translation file.
Best regards

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.