Can't

Version 3.4, Ubuntu 12.04lts. When opening Ardour the splash freezes with a “Separar Intervalo” message. Then it closes shutting off Ardour.
I’ve tweaked everything. The ending was the same. help…

What is on the console when this happens?

On the IRC I was told to check it that way. Didn’t got “how to” quite well. Can you please direct me?

@pedropt: Utiliza valores básicos en Jack (1024 samples / 2 frames @ 44.1Khz ó 48Khz) y verifica que estés abriendo Jack con la interfaz adecuada, luego abre un terminal e ingresa el comando que te recomienda LeatusPenguin, puedes usar esa data para mostrarla a algúno de los desarrolladores en el IRC o por acá. Yo uso 12.04 tambien y no tengo problemas con Ardour 3.4 también descargado de acá… capaz es alguna configuración previa extraña que tienes allí. espero eso te ayude. Saludos!

--------------- now in english:

@ pedropt: Please use basic values for Jack ​​(1024 samples / 2 frames@44.1Khz or 48Khz) and verify that you are opening Jack with the appropriate interface, then open a terminal and enter the command LeatusPenguin recommended you, use that data to show it to a developer on IRC or here. I use 12.04 also and I have no problems with Ardour 3.4 also downloaded from here … it may be some strange previous configuration you have there. I hope that helps. Greetings!

Ok… here what’s given on terminal…

bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/share/locale
Ardour3.4 (built using 3.4 and GCC version 4.4.6)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour_system.rc
Loading user configuration file /home/pedro/.config/ardour3/ardour.rc
Using SSE optimized routines
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading user ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui.conf
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_dark.rc
Cannot connect to server socket err = Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started
Announcement is:
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver … hw:0,0|hw:0,0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

ATTENTION: The capture device “hw:0,0” is already in use. The following applications are using your soundcard(s) so you should check them and stop them as necessary before trying to start JACK again:

jackd (process ID 2721)

JackTemporaryException : now quits…
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to open server

After killing pulseaudio:

bnd txt domain [gtk2_ardour3] to /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/share/locale
Ardour3.4 (built using 3.4 and GCC version 4.4.6)
ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to only 4096 open files
ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour_system.rc
Using SSE optimized routines
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “canberra-gtk-module”
ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_default.conf
Loading user ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui.conf
ardour: [INFO]: Loading ui configuration file /opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/etc/ardour3_ui_dark.rc
Setting defaultDIR session dir to [~]
Announcement is:

(ardour-3.4:2852): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel’, but failed: Falha ao criar o ficheiro ‘/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.6MBP3W’: Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente

(ardour-3.4:2852): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel’, but failed: Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
Found 0 along /root/.config/ardour3/templates:/opt/Ardour-3.4-dbg/share/templates

(ardour-3.4:2852): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel’, but failed: Falha ao criar o ficheiro ‘/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.LOMR3W’: Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente

(ardour-3.4:2852): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel’, but failed: Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
control device hw:2
Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Invalid argument
Audio device hw:0,0 cannot be acquired…
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open() failed with -1
Failed to open server

So, JACK cannot be started because your audio interface (“soundcard”) is being used by another program. The program is probably PulseAudio and the most likely answer is that you are using a version of Linux where a bug in PulseAudio prevents it from releasing the soundcard so that JACK can use it. You should research (via google or similar) solutions specific to your Linux distribution.

Ardour cannot run without JACK (though it should not exit/fail so catastrophically when this happens)

You also appear to be trying to run JACK or Ardour as root. Do not do this.

You can’t fix the PulseAudio problem by just killing PulseAudio.

oh boy… thinking that I’ve used to do recordings from system audio (recording radio streams on real time test purposals during the whole night with success, soundcards working together… Using Jack as a nice oldschool patchbay). Yes, on Ubuntu 12.04. Can’t figure out why’s this now… got to dig on the web…

if you’ve ran jack or ardour as root, you’ve got to look at file permissions and ownership, especially hidden files, ones starting with a dot … that will mess things up, when you later try starting the application as a regular user, since ownership and permissions will have changed from running as root. how many osund cards? one or two? what does alsamixer have as your sound card? can you uninstall pulseaudio? I find pulse only good for audio in browser surfing- ala youtube… but annoying otherwise. here is a reasonably good reference. some of it maybe out of date.

http://jackaudio.org/pulseaudio_and_jack

For a start… how do I change the to non root? I’ve got two sound cards Onboard and a PCI. Nice when they work. But mostly schizofrenic…

Pulse audio is a pain, i was glad when i moved to KX studio. It has everything setup for you and jack is always running.

From memory i think the correct way to start up jack when using pulse audio was to use pasuspender

If you open whatever program u use for configuring jack (most likely qjackctl) and in server path put “pasuspender --” infront of whats in that field.

this should supsend pulse audio and allow jack to start.

if you still get problems then its possible that your user is not part of the audio group,

http://jackaudio.org/linux_rt_config - have a look at this page, it has some info on how to create and add yourself to the group.

As for running into file permission problems, hopefully ardour and jack should be fine, you wont know until you try and start it as a normal user.

Personally i prefer using a distro that has been setup specifically for the purpose, Ubuntu Studio was Ok but it still uses pulseaudio and generally its better to not use pulseaudio when you need to use jack. AV linux is my favourite, but i had dependancy issues with some software i was trying to compile from source. so moved back to KX studio. KX Studio is now moving to debian repos though so i may go back and use KX studio on an AV linux build.

Just an update… Fresh install on 12.04lts. Running fine as it should. I suspect it was an issue
created by me upon setting up Rivendell/Jack.