Can't Save The Audio Preference file in Jack Pilot & "Cannot start Jack server,

Several days ago I purchased the Harrison Mix Buss software, and have tried countless times trying to get this running on my Apple Power Mac G5 Quad. It’s a 4 X 2.5 GHz Power PC G5. I checked the system requirements which I meet. I’m running Mac OS X version 10.4.11 and I installed Jack OSX 0.85 PPC 32 bit version, along with several older versions. I’ve tried both a Digidesign Mbox, and a Emagic emi 6/2m USB audio interfaces… I even tried using my built in audio card. The problem I’m having is selecting my audio card in Jack Pilot preferences and hitting the save function which does nothing! I can change the input & outputs etc… on the preference file… I just can’t save it. When I hit save, it does nothing!
I’m assuming for some reason the software is not detecting my changes as I try and start Jack and get an error message reading that says “Cannot start Jack server,
Please check preferences or retry after a system reboot.”
I’ve rebooted many times, selected from my various audio cards, changed the preferences in my MIDI/Audio utility, and even created an aggregate device, and still no go!.. mo matter what I try I’m not able to save the Jack Pilot preference file and start up Jack without getting the “Cannot start Jack server,
Please check preferences or retry after a system reboot.”
I would appreciate any help, as I’ve spent $79.99 purchasing something that doesn’t seem to work. I’ve googled trying to find info, but nothing is working… please! help me!!
Thanks,
Alex

@paul
interestingly everything else seems to work on this computer. I use it to get on the NET, also runs Pro Tools w/Mbox, and even Reaper. I don’t really use it for much else. My main recording computer is a PC, but I would switch over to Mac if I could get this to run.
Do you suggest that I just reinstall the OS? might this be the cure? I know I’m in the wrong forum to ask these questions, and I do appreciate your efforts at helping me.
Alex

Thanks, I tried repair permissions, and even uninstalled Jack, and reinstalled. Though I can see the folder with its contents in Applications, mixbus will not start stating that Jack is not installed. If it’s not installed, why does the Jack folder appear with all it’s contents? I also noticed when I run the Jack Pilot App, I don’t see core audio as a choice in the driver text field in preferences… it shows nothing. I will try the IRC during business hours tomorrow, and hopefully someone will have an idea. I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Alex

@digidrum: this is not a support forum for Mixbus, and you’d be well advised to use the support email address that came with your purchase of Mixbus. Harrison support Mixbus and you will find them helpful, knowledgeable and responsive.

For whatever its worth, I have not seen the behaviour you are describing reported before by any users of JACK on OS X, so whatever situation you are in is quite unusual. Also, I suggest that you consider not using JackPilot (as an experiment) and just let Mixbus start JACK based on the settings you make in the “Audio Setup” tab of the session control dialog that appears when it starts up. I personally think that its preferable to use something like JackPilot in general use, but the success or failure of this attempt might be revealing. I also suggest that you check the Console window (Applications -> Utilities -> Console) for additional messages that might provide some more information.

@digidrum: your system is pretty messed up. In particular, execute permission on jackd (the JACK server) is missing:

exec of JACK server (command = “/usr/local/bin/jackd”) failed: Permission denied

I have no idea how its arrived in this state, but judging from the other errors in your Console log, such as:

Incompatible applications: app=com.rogueamoeba.LineIn2, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.Console, targetApp=com.apple.Safari

my guess is that its not just JACK that has problems.

@digidrum

Another suggestion would be to utilize the IRC chat option that instructions on how to do that shoudl be included with the documentation you received with Mixbus. This can sometimes result in much faster response and help if you get on IRC when people are around, which is typically during business hours EST or CST. But the only official avenue for support as Paul mentioned is of course the email.

Like Paul I can’t say I have ever heard of that issue, and it almost sounds like there may be a permissions issue, so I might suggest trying to repair permissions(OS X’s Disk Utility) and seeing if that fixes anything.

Seablade

@paul
Thanks, I tried reinstalling Though I can see the folder with its contents in Applications, mixbus will not start stating that Jack is not installed. If it’s not installed, why does the Jack folder appear with all it’s contents? I also noticed when I run the Jack Pilot App, I don’t see core audio as a choice in the driver text field in preferences… it shows nothing. I will try the IRC during business hours tomorrow, and hopefully someone will have an idea. I appreciate your help. Here’s what’s in my console.
Thanks,
Alex
Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
2010-06-01 20:19:51 -0500
2010-06-01 20:19:51.158 loginwindow[77] FSResolveAliasWithMountFlags returned err = -35
2010-06-01 20:19:51.378 loginwindow[77] LoginItems LSOpenFromURLSpec return err = -10661
2010-06-01 20:19:52.495 UniversalAccess[172] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.universalaccess, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:19:56.266 AwakeHWUN3USBUI[176] Incompatible applications: app=com.Ralink. AwakeHWUN3USBUI, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:19:57.394 iCalAlarmScheduler[175] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.iCal.AlarmScheduler, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:19:58.028 HWUN3 Wireless Utility[179] Incompatible applications: app=com.Hawking.RaConfig, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:20:02.676 SystemUIServer[159] lang is:en
2010-06-01 20:20:03.560 LCCengine[174] Incompatible applications: app=com.northernsw.nswCCEngine, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
Tue Jun 1 20:20:05 CDT 2010 LCC Engine: Starting LCC Engine (202).
Tue Jun 1 20:20:05 CDT 2010 LCC Engine: next maintenance run: 6/1/10 9:00 PM
Jun 1 20:20:05 dpulse diskarbitrationd[45]: SystemUIServer [159]:11855 not responding.
Jun 1 20:20:09 dpulse ntpdate[202]: can’t find host time.apple.com\n
Jun 1 20:20:09 dpulse ntpdate[202]: no servers can be used, exiting
2010-06-01 20:20:30.881 DiskImageMounter[249] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.DiskImageMounter, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:20:35.034 Dropbox[177] Incompatible applications: app=com.getdropbox.dropbox, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:20:38.109 DiskImages UI Agent[257] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.frameworks.diskimages.uiagent, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
button returned:OK

Disk Utility started.

2010-06-01 20:21:20.593 Disk Utility[351] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.DiskUtility, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
parent directory ./Users/Shared/SC Info does not exist

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
ConnectPort: can’t find mach server port name = jackdmp_entry.502_default err = unknown error code
Cannot connect to server Mach port
jack server is not running or cannot be started
2010-06-01 20:22:31.809 JackPilot[380] Incompatible applications: app=gpl.elementicaotici.JackPilot, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:22:53.673 firefox-bin[388] Incompatible applications: app=org.mozilla.firefox, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
Debugger() was called!
ConnectPort: can’t find mach server port name = jackdmp_entry.502_default err = unknown error code
2010-06-01 20:43:02.300 JackPilot[826] Incompatible applications: app=gpl.elementicaotici.JackPilot, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:43:33.873 JackPilot[838] Incompatible applications: app=gpl.elementicaotici.JackPilot, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:45:07.735 Audio MIDI Setup[871] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:45:37.719 System Preferences[882] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.systempreferences, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:46:07.081 JackPilot[838] *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil
2010-06-01 20:46:15.095 JackPilot[838] *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil
2010-06-01 20:46:44.595 JackPilot[838] *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil
/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/local/bin/./jackdmp: Permission denied
exec of JACK server (command = “/usr/local/bin/jackd”) failed: Permission denied
2010-06-01 20:46:57.608 JackPilot[838] *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil
2010-06-01 20:50:32.854 DiskImageMounter[986] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.DiskImageMounter, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:50:58.740 LineIn[1010] Incompatible applications: app=com.rogueamoeba.LineIn2, targetApp=com.apple.Safari
2010-06-01 20:52:09.243 Console[1038] Incompatible applications: app=com.apple.Console, targetApp=com.apple.Safari

@digidrum

exec of JACK server (command = "/usr/local/bin/jackd") failed: Permission denied

I am with Paul on this one, something screwy is happening with your system when your user can’t even run a program installed.

Reinstalling the OS could certainly be a possibility but overkill most likely for this purpose I think. I wish I could catch you on IRC but I am not sure how much I am going to be around in th near term for other reasons. Namely I want to check and confirm you have PPC executable version of both Mixbus and Jack first and foremost via the file command in the terminal…

file /usr/local/bin/jackdmp file /Applications/Mixbus.app/Contents/MacOS/Mixbus.bin

(The above assume Mixbus was installed in /Applications of course)

Beyond this I would be curious to see the output of

ls -lth /usr/local/bin

Utilize the CODE tags in your response post to maintain appropriate formatting please.

Seablade