Can't import/play videos (anymore)

Hi,

I installed Ardour 6.9.0 (built using 6.9 and GCC version 11.2.0) on a new laptop, and I can’t figure out how to play back video anymore. I’m on Arch, using pipewire and pipewire-jack. For audio, it works fine.
I’ve installed harvid and xjadeo. On my previous device, I used JACK, but other than that the system configuration was pretty much the same.

When I click “Open Video”, I can see the dialog for transcoding the video, but when I click OK, nothing happens. No progress bar, nothing. Silent failure. There’s no error message when starting from the console, either.

Not sure if I forgot to install anything ? Does anyone have a hint for me, or did I run into a bug here ?

EDIT: I looked at the ffmpeg options seems like the error is to be found here:

TRANSCODE VIDEO:
/usr/bin/ffmpeg_harvid -i /home/**/Downloads/Mario Kart Wii - Grand Prix - Special Cup (150cc)-pWcH9GHwwO4.mp4 -b:v 10000k -s 1280x720 -y -vcodec mjpeg -an -intra -g 1 /home/nik/music_production/ardour/VidTest/interchange/VidTest/videofiles/Mario Kart Wii - Grand Prix - Special Cup (150cc)-pWcH9GHwwO4.avi 
ffmpeg: 'ffmpeg version n5.0 Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 11.2.0 (GCC)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-amf --enable-avisynth --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-lto --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdrm --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgsm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libjack --enable-libmfx --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librav1e --enable-librsvg --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvmaf --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxcb --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc --enable-shared --enable-version3
  libavutil      57. 17.100 / 57. 17.100
  libavcodec     59. 18.100 / 59. 18.100
  libavformat    59. 16.100 / 59. 16.100
  libavdevice    59.  4.100 / 59.  4.100
  libavfilter     8. 24.100 /  8. 24.100
  libswscale      6.  4.100 /  6.  4.100
  libswresample   4.  3.100 /  4.  3.100
  libpostproc    56.  3.100 / 56.  3.100'
ffmpeg: 'Unrecognized option 'intra'.
Error splitting the argument list:'
ffmpeg: 'Option not found'

Best,
N

You are apparently using a 3rd party build of the video tools, which is based on ffmpeg 5.0.
ffmpeg’s CLI has changed in an incompatible way, you need an older version of ffmpeg.

Ardour from ardour.org still comes with ffmpeg 2.8.2, but as far as I know ffmpeg binaries up to version 4.3 are compatible.

see also https://manual.ardour.org/video-timeline/setup/.

Hmm, I installed the version that’s in the Arch repo, which I assume is 3rd-party ? Also using ffmpeg from the Arch repo, so I guess that explains the incompatibility. Guess that’s something to discuss with the Arch maintainers.

Thanks for the info !

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.