Can't Get Ardour Inputs to Hear S/PDIF or Scarlett 2i2

Regarding the issue with sound cards loading in random order. One way around that is, if you are willing to compile your own kernel, to build the driver for the card you want to load 1st into the kernel and build the other as a module. Then the one you built into the kernel will always load as hw0. Of course not the best solution for everybody but if you are already building your kernel then it’s easy enough to just do that.
Craig

@CraigPid: the JACK FAQ describes a much more flexible way to deal with this, that does not involve building your own kernel.

On thing I noticed is that qjackctl will always start jackdbus. And when you quit qjackctl, jackdbus continues to run. Ardour, when started, if it sees jackdbus running, it will use it. If it doesn’t, it will start jackd. When you exit Ardour, it will leave jackd running. If qjackctl is run, it ignores whether jackd is running or not and will always start jackdbus and leave it running when you exit qjackctl.

So these programs aren’t well coordinated. Or at least Ardour seems more polite in that if it sees either jackd or jackdbus running, it won’t try to start jackd. However, Ardour will give a warning if jackdbus is running indicating that it was started externally and that the user may not be able to control it (from Ardour I assume).

If you run qjackctl, it will run jackdbus if it’s not already running whether jackd is already running or not. This seems like poor behavior to me if two different jackd servers shouldn’t be running at once. Also, I have a box checked in qjackctl settings that says to stop the server on application exit. It seems to ignore this setting. This setting is only available if you have D bus interface enabled in qjackctl.

Now in qjackctl and I can disable the D bus interface and then it will use jackd instead of jackdbus. At that point, it will not start an extra jackd if it sees one already running. However, if qjackctl is the app that started jackd initially, then Ardour will issue the warning about it being externally started.

Another issue in either case is that if I want to change the default hardware through the interface I have to manually kill jackd or jackdbus to get the default to take effect. Neither application will not do this for me when changing these settings.

This is really strange. I was trying to figure out how to get sound from spdif on the 2496 and I found the answer in my own post on this thread.