Can't export and Helm not saving settings for 2 tracks

(zenseidk) #1

Hello,

I don’t know if this should be reported at a bug, so I think I’ll ask the experts first.

I’ve been working on a project for some days now and have exported the project about 10 times during that time. Now, I suddenly can’t export.
The Export window opens and 704 bytes are written to the wave file and then nothing else happens.
The Export window stays open, but the file size does not increase and the progress bar does not move.

A separate issue is that I have 2 midi tracks with Helm (one is a copy of the other) and every time I start Ardour, I have to get the sound I want to use again.
This could of course be Helm-related and not Ardour.

(Robin Gareus) #2

Ardour on Linux? Which version of Ardour is that?

That used to be an issue with JACK on some Linux distributions (Ubuntu 14.xx and 16.xx were affected) – jack won’t enter ‘freewheeling’ (faster than realtime) processing for Ardour to export.

In some cases restarting jack helped, another option is to not use JACK but ardour’s built-in ALSA backend.

What version of Helm do you use? maybe related to https://github.com/mtytel/helm/issues/57

(zenseidk) #3

Hi Robin,
Huh… That’s really weird, today it will export. I guess a reboot did the trick.

I’m on version 5.12 on Ubuntu Studio with KX repos.
My Helm is the latest version, I think 3.0.0.
It sounds a little like that issue, but he uses much older versions and I don’t lose modulation, but the sound preset.

(elcalen) #4

Hi,

I was just testing Helm a little for the first time, and I’m also seeing issues when re-opening files. Seemed like a lot of the settings were just getting garbled. I played around some, tried switching to the VST version (which didn’t appear to help), back to LV2 again, and at some point it apparently started loading correctly again… I have no idea how to reproduce the bug, since right now it seems to be working correctly and I don’t know when/how it started in the first place…

EDIT: oh yeah, I’m on Debian testing, downloaded the latest (0.9.0) .deb installer for Helm from its website.

EDIT 2: Also definitely seemed like there was more going on than just the modulation connections being lost, as described in the linked bug report (which supposedly should have been fixed a long time ago anyway). Seemed more like the modulation (and possibly other) settings just being garbled…

(elcalen) #5

OK, I was doing some more testing with Helm, just messing around with presets and parameters, and it happened again. After re-opening the project, some of the parameters were messed up. (Almost like it was loading the parameters of an earlier state, belonging to a different preset, and not the most recently saved? I dunno, that’s speculation.) After deleting the plugin and inserting it again, it once again seems to function correctly. (But of course I’ve lost the previous state of the plugin when I delete it.)

I still don’t know how to reproduce this bug, nor do I know if it’s a) related to the problem zenseidk was describing in the original post, or b) if the bug is with Helm or Ardour… The fact that this has happened to me twice now in a relatively short period of trying out the plugin is somewhat worrying, though…