Can only set 48kHz Sample rate

Hello. I can only set 48kHz sample rate in Ardour. Alsa don’t let me set for example 44100kHz, i get a error. And when i start Jack with 44100kHz, then i get xrun callback. I typed in the console “pactl list short sinks” and i get this out:" 0 alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c s16le 2ch 48000Hz SUSPENDED"

I know, it’s not an Ardour problem, but i searched now 4 hours and i didn’t find a solution. Can someone help me please?

What soundcard are you using?

Some laptop built-in HDA-Intel only support 48KHz. In that case jackd silently falls back to use 48k instead, while ardour/alsa will not do that. See jack’s log (configuring for ..)

@x42 Thank you for the answer. Alsamixer shows me that the name of the card is “Hda Intel Pch” and the Chip is Realtek ALC285.
I tried in Windows and there works well. I can choose 44.100kHz, 96.000kHz, etc…
Now in linux in the audio/midi settings i saw that i have there many outputs: Hda Intel Pch, that output only works with 48kHz. The other outputs like Hda Intel Pch(hw:Pch,3), Hda Intel Pch(hw:Pch,7), Hda Intel Pch(hw:Pch,8), Hda Intel Pch(hw:Pch,9), Hda Intel Pch(hw:Pch,10), are working with the other kHz, but i cannot change the sample rate higher than 1024 samples. Normally in mixing i set the sample rate to 4096, so my DSP is better.

Edit: in these outputs Pch 8, Pch9, etc… i cannot hear a sound.

Windows will silently add an SRC (sample rate conversion) stage if it needs to. The AC97, which came before HDA was 48000 only in the hardware by design. Most hardware for that spec always ran all audio (even 48000) through an SRC stage. HDA still uses a 48000 bus but does allow the hardware to run at and transfer other speeds.
In any case, just because windows allows you to select other speeds than 48000, does not mean the hardware actually supports it.
To see what rates the hardware has told ALSA it supports, you can look in /proc/asound/PCH/codec#0 and search for lines with “rates” in them. Do note that there will be more than one of these lines and each line is specific to one audio device (PCH is actually an audio bus rather than an audio device) and some devices allow more rates than others. Specifics I have found has been that most “digital” outputs (s/pdif or hdmi) are 48000 only and some internal mics in laptops are 48000 only.

@lenovens Thank you. I just looked and under rates at the beginning is written: [0x560]: 44100 48000 96000 192000

I have attached the file. Thanks for your help.

Look a little bit further. You should note above that I said there is often more than one device and that each device may have it’s own set of rates.
The line you quoted is the overall bus or device spec. down below there is:
-------------------------8<----------------------------------------------
Node 0x02 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
Control: name=“Speaker Playback Volume”, index=0, device=0

rates [0x40]: 48000

Node 0x03 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x41d: Stereo Amp-Out
Control: name=“Headphone Playback Volume”, index=0, device=0

Node 0x06 [Audio Output] wcaps 0x411: Stereo
Converter: stream=0, channel=0

Node 0x07 [Audio Input] wcaps 0x10051b: Stereo Amp-In
------------------------------8<--------------------------------
So as you can see, while the bus part can handle lots of rates, The device has only been given one clock at 48000. If windows tells you it can do otherwise… it is using software to convert to/from 48000 to give you what you ask for. For your hardware, you will get the best quality if you always use 48000 no matter if you use windows or Linux. Even if you wish to publish your work at 44100, it would be better to use a software converter of known good quality than to use whatever shipped with windows.

@lenovens Okay, i understand now. Thank you for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.