can jack recognize aux-in in audigy card? also

can jack/alsa recognise the aux-input in an audigy card?
i’m wanting to use the aux-in of an audigy2 to give me a second line-in (with adaptor of course)

the idea would be to record the left/right channel from the line in as track 1&2, and the left/right channels for the aux-in as tracks 3&4 giving me 4 channels at a time. is this something jack and/or alsa can handle?

and, with a regular stereo card, can i record 2 tracks at once? (i’ve read lots of people doing it in windows, but havn’t heard it mentioned on linux audio sites)

lots of linux people record more than one source from the same device. However, if I read the audigy 2 info correctly (don’t even know if it was the right card because there may be more than one released under the audigy2 sub-brand) this card only has one stereo record channel (AD-converter), and can route more than one hardware input to it on the analog side.

If you have a device with more AD-converters, you can record, say, 8 (or 16, 32) channels at the same time, typically that’s what you need if there is more than one musician to record.

JACK doesn’t know about that stuff.

it knows that an audio interface has been set up to use a specific capture source. how that is done is h/w specific and generally requires the use of a h/w mixer application. this might be a generic one (alsamixer, kmixer, gmixer etc) or a h/w specific one.

most ALSA drivers do not support merging streams together. i don’t know if this is true of the audigy.

ok, so alsa would have to be set up to recongize the aux-in as a recording source basically?
can alsa use more than once source from the same device at the same time?

um, it’s been done in windows:
http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/50590-quick-guide-get-extra-inputs-your-card.html so i guess it must have enough ad converters…?

your .asoundrc file tells alsa about the capabilities of your soundcard, and can set up options. If alsa knows to tell apart all the different inputs of your soundcard, jack will offer them up to you! It’s not so easy to set up .asoundrc, if your distribution doesn’t take care of it.
It may be either in your home directory or somewhere in /etc/, in which case it may be named alsarc. You may find it mentioned in the script that pulls up alsa, somewhere like /etc/init.d/alsa

Read up in places like this one http://www.alsa-project.org/
And if you’re successful let others share your joy by posting your solution somewhere on the alsa website (this being not the right place)