Calf Plugins cannot be loaded

Hello,

I started trying Ardour on Puppy Linux 5.7.1.
Now I installed Calf plugins 0.0.19+git20140915+5de5da28, but with many of the plugins, trying to use them results in an error message like the following:
The plugin “Calf Compressor” could not be loaded
See the Log window for more details (maybe)

and the log window says:
[ERROR]: LV2: Failed to instantiate plugin http://calf.sourceforge.net/plugins/Compressor
What’s wrong here?

The version I use is Ardour 3.5.357
(built from revision 3.5-357-gce4d125)

Thank you
Hans

1. Please stop using Ardour 3.x for any purpose. If you got Ardour from your Linux distribution, and they have no newer version, then stop using their version and get it from http://ardour.org/download
  2. If this issue occurs with Ardour 4.6, we'll look into it. But this is unlikely.

Thank you Paul, I now downloaded and installed Ardour_32bit-4.6.0.run.
However, it does not work because Ardour says it “cannot connect to the MIDI/audio engine”.
On startup, Ardour lets me choose between ALSA and JACK but says both are stopped.
All other audio applications work well until I try to start JACK, then there is no more sound until I reboot the computer.
When I try to start JACK with QJackCtl, I get the following message:

01:31:55.557 Patchbay deactivated.
01:31:55.580 Statistics reset.
01:31:55.582 ALSA connection change.
01:31:55.694 D-BUS: Service is available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
01:32:08.994 Could not load preset “(voreingestellt)”. Retrying with default.
01:32:15.499 D-BUS: JACK server could not be started. Sorry
could not open component .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so: undefined symbol: jack_messagebuffer_add
could not open driver .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so: undefined symbol: jack_messagebuffer_add
jack_get_descriptor returns null for ‘jack_alsa_midi.so’
could not open component .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so: undefined symbol: jack_driver_init
could not open driver .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so: undefined symbol: jack_driver_init
jack_get_descriptor returns null for ‘jack_oss.so’
could not open component .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so: undefined symbol: jack_messagebuffer_add
could not open component .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so: undefined symbol: jack_driver_init
unknown option character l
Mon Feb 15 01:32:15 2016: Starting jack server…
Mon Feb 15 01:32:15 2016: [1m[31mERROR: `default’ server already active[0m
Mon Feb 15 01:32:15 2016: [1m[31mERROR: Failed to open server[0m
Mon Feb 15 01:32:17 2016: Saving settings to “/root/.config/jack/conf.xml” …
01:32:40.286 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
could not open driver .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_alsa_midi.so: undefined symbol: jack_messagebuffer_add
jack_get_descriptor returns null for ‘jack_alsa_midi.so’
could not open driver .so ‘/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so’: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/jack/jack_oss.so: undefined symbol: jack_driver_init
jack_get_descriptor returns null for ‘jack_oss.so’
unknown option character l

Do you have an idea what’s wrong here?

thank you,
Hans

Ok, I got it fixed by installing a new JACK version (1.9.9.5) Now Ardour starts. Calf plugins load. Thank you

calf 0.0.19 is seriously out of date and error prone, do yourself a favor and grab 0.0.60 at least.

Hi, I am running 4.6.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 and I cant get it to load/see the Calf 0.0.60 plugins. When I scan in Ardour Preferences/plugins nothing happens. I’ve tried reinstalling both the Calf and Ardour, no luck.

I run an identical setup on my laptop which works perfectly. The only difference I can see is that in my not-working system many of the Calf files are in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2 whereas on my laptop they are in usr/lib/lv2.

Is that a problem ? Any help appreciated !!

Where did you get Ardour 4.6 from?

From this site - everything as instructed, donation made etc

@JohnStephens007

You may need to specify the appropriate environment variable, in your case LV2_PATH IIRC and put that directory in it.

Seablade

Ardour (as built for ardour.org) looks in the following places for LV2 plugins:

~/.lv2:/usr/local/lib/lv2:/usr/local/lib64/lv2:/usr/lib/lv2:/usr/lib64/lv2

If you somehow install plugins somewhere else, then as Seablade noted, you need to set LV2_PATH in your environment before starting Ardour so that it can find them. Did you install them “by hand” on the non-working system?

Many thanks both for your speedy replies. I installed the Calf Plugins via the ubuntu Software Centre, as recommended at http://calf-studio-gear.org

Could you advise me what terminal commands to use to set the LV2_PATH to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2 ?
Thanks again

export LV2_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2:$LV2_PATH

To make it permanent add

LV2_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2:$LV2_PATH
export LV2_PATH

to .bash_profile in your home directory.

Thanks for your post, but unfortunately no joy with this command, still no plug-ins appearing if I scan in prefs.

I note that there is actually one plug-in that can be seen in Ardour on the non-working system: reasonablesynth. (No idea where it came from). On searching the file system I found this in:
/opt/Ardour-4.6.0/lib/LV2/reasonablesynth.lv2

Is this where Ardour is looking for LV2 plug-ins, and where Calf should be?

RattusB should perhaps have pointed out, since you may not have known it, that changing the path isn’t going to have any effect on a running program, nor on any shell other than the one in which you do it. Did you try launching Ardour from the console in which you typed the “export LV2_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2:$LV2_PATH”; or alternatively, did you log out of you r X session and log in again before launching if you did the edit .bashrc (preferable) approach?

Great! Worked immediately! (Obviously I should have thought of that!).

Could you clarify how to make it permanent? I don’t seem to have a file called .bash_profile?

It will be in your home directory if it exists, and if it doesn’t, just create one with your favourite text editor and put that line in it.

Thanks. I tried this and restarted, but it didn’t work. I’m new to scripting, is there other information needed in .bash_profile beyond:
LV2_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2:$LV2_PATH
export LV2_PATH

bearing in mind it’s a blank text file that I created

1 Like

Any thoughts on this anyone? Its working fine from the terminal but would be nice to make it permanent.

Did you login out and back in after creating that file? For your purposes, it is only read at login time.

Thanks Paul, yes I have logged out, several times to double check - no joy.