Calculate the bpm of an imported track

hello,

can I calculate the bpm of an imported track?

so that i can set the bpm of the ardour time-ruler?

thanks for all the hints :slight_smile:

cheers
Jochen

2 Likes

There are free Android apps for this. The app listens the sound coming from the phone microphone and tells the bpm of the music.

I usually do this manually by using a metronome. I set an approximate bpm on the metronome while listening to the music and start the metronome on a drum hit. If the metronome keeps up with the music I have found the bmp value, if not I adjust metronome tempo up or down and try again. This is much quicker than it sounds.

Yes yes yes, I would absolutely love such an integrated feature. I’ve read this suggestion before and I believe the best implementation seen was in Cubase. One can calculate the bpm after setting a loop with the Marker. Nothing fancy but fast if you want to remix or add synth drums.

I don’t know if there is a suggestion board for Ardour features … think they are discussed real-time on some IRC.

Still I’m really happy I switched from other DAWs to Ardour and Mixbus. Props Paul and Robin :sunglasses::guitar:

1 Like

There is the Rhythm Ferret tool in Ardour, but I have never been able to figure out how to work it so I have fallen back on a method similar to what @mhartzel described. Has anyone here had success with Rhythm Ferret and is willing to give a quick run-through?

Rhythm Ferret is more about slicing regions than setting existing BPM honestly. I would need to make a video on it to demonstrate, sorry.

Seablade
1 Like

Maybe “Tempo Mapping” can help here. The following video demonstrates this in Mixbus, but it’s identical in Ardour:

1 Like

You can open the track in Audacity (another great opensource tool - with a different “focus” than Ardour). It has a beat detection feature which is quite convenient. I had fun once with a Serge Gainsbourg tune from the 70s which had been recorded without a click, the tempo was varying a lot along the track - so with this feature I was able to get the bar length precisely relatively efficiently and from there to do my tempo map bar per bar.

2 Likes

Ardour also has a “tap tempo” feature by clicking on the tempo marker. type any key in sync with the tempo and Ardour gives the measured BPM.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.