Burning CD with Burn App or SimplyBurns App impossible

Hi there !

Trying to burn a CD (what I already made months ago), those to apps send me either “Some files specified in the Toc file are missing”(burn) or a SimplyBurns crash.

My .toc file contains:

CD_DA
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE_MAP {
0 : EN
}
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “Chewie Brest”
}
}

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark1”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 00:00:00 00:02:11
START 00:02:11

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed1”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 00:02:11 04:26:30
START 00:00:00

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark2”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 04:28:42 00:00:01

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed2”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 04:28:43 04:49:33
INDEX 04:49:32

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed3”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 09:18:01 02:39:67
INDEX 02:39:64

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed10”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 11:57:68 03:31:27
INDEX 03:31:25

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed4”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 15:29:20 04:00:50
INDEX 04:00:49

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed5”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 19:29:70 03:28:15
INDEX 03:28:14

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed6”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 22:58:10 03:41:02

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark8”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 26:39:12 00:00:00

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed7”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 26:39:12 02:45:63

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark9”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 29:25:00 00:00:00

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed8”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 29:25:00 04:39:00

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark10”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 34:04:00 00:00:00

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “unnamed9”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 34:04:00 06:01:72

The related Ardour project is Chewie Brest and there should be 10 tracks on the CD (I made both range and CD markers to be sure after a dozen of tries).

I looked over the forums and didn’t see anything to help me.
Suggestions ? Answers ? Else ?

Thanks !

Forgot to write I’m running on a macbookpro under leopard 10.5.7 and Ardour 2.8, lastest Burn and Simplyburns versions…

I know nothing about Burn/Simplyburn and not really that much about toc files, but a few things seems odd.

• Is the exported file really just called "CD Brest". Normally I'd think it would be called "CD Brest.wav"
  • You seem to have cd-markers in strange places: "mark2" seems to me 1 sec, and mark8,9,10 are zero secs. You should only export the CD markers if you want a CD.toc.
So start with going to the export menu, give the exported file a name (CD Brest.wav), select the Master L/R tracks, optionally select type/format/rate/dithering, set CD Marker=TOC and click Export.

Thank you Peder.

So,

I nammed the exported file “CD Brest” at the export and Ardour give the exension itself. It appears as in the finder, but, you’re right, the extension doesn’t appear in the .toc file. I modified the original name of “CD Brest.wav” in “CD Brest” and… the 2 apps accept the .toc file.
The cd markers are at the good place in the ardour project. Maybe the .toc generator having trouble ?

I tries a burn with Simplyburns and obtained … a 13 tracks white-noise disc !!

I made a new try without the range markers : Burn crashes now and Simplyburns send me an error message. Ardour is crashing ( space bar doesn’t work as the auto return option…).

Maybe should I re-install Ardour…

Let you know but still wait for any idea !!

Reinstalling apps is not really the appropriate solution for problems like this, and I wish that users could let go of this idea (I know it often works when you have no idea of what is happening).

The filename issue is simply a bug in ardour - I will fix it for the 2.8.1 release. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The white noise issue can only be resolved by checking the soundfile that you exported, and sndfile-info is the simplest tool for that. You may not have this installed on your OS X system, however. I am not sure what Apple-supplied utility can provide information on bit-depth, sample-endianness etc, but that’s what you need to check.

The crashes in Burn - no comment. What is the error from SimplyBurns? As for Ardour, it would be preferable if you could provide the crash report that OS X should provide for any program that dies abnormally.

The white noise sounds like you haven’t exported the sound as 16bit/44kHz, unless there’s something wrong with your burning app.

And you say there should be 10 tracks, you got 13 on the white noise CD and there are 15 in the toc.
I’d suggest you remove the track markers entirely, redo them and redo the export.
Also check the Window/Locations editor for any strange or hidden markers.

Paul > First of all, thank you for all your work !

The idea of reinstalling is not usual to me ! That would have been the first time… But as I mentionned it, I already burn cds without problem from Ardour project and as I turned the problem on every sides, that was my last option !
“The filename issue is simply a bug in ardour - I will fix it for the 2.8.1 release. Apologies for the inconvenience.” Please, don’t apologize, I assume that Ardour project and all what goes with !!!

For the white noise, I checked the audio file many times, it’s ok, I burned it as a single track cd. And that was not exactly white noise. I can hear modulations on some tracks ?!

I must precise the way of the different crashes: A first one with simplyburns (and error message with burn app), the “white noise” burn with simplyburns after having changed the .wav name and at last, a Burns app crash and a simplyburns error after having removed the range markers. So…
I didn’t tried to burn the cd with Burn app as I thought the bug was released with the changing name.

Simplyburns error log:
{
“DiscOperation_ErrorKey” = “ERROR: Toc file “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest.toc” is inconsistent.”;
“DiscOperation_RealTaskDurationKey” = 0.00800000037997961;
“DiscOperation_ReturnCodeKey” = 1;
}

CD Brest.toc contains now:

CD_DA
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE_MAP {
0 : EN
}
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “Chewie Brest”
}
}

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark1”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 00:00:00 04:29:42
START 00:03:13

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark2”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 04:29:42 04:49:33

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark3”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 09:19:00 02:39:66

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark4”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 11:58:66 03:31:27

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark5”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 15:30:18 04:00:51

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark6”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 19:30:69 03:28:15

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark7”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 22:59:09 03:41:03

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark8”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 26:40:12 02:45:63

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark9”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 29:26:00 04:39:00

TRACK AUDIO
COPY
NO PRE_EMPHASIS
CD_TEXT {
LANGUAGE 0 {
TITLE “mark10”
}
}
FILE “/Users/Jipeg/Desktop/Chewie Brest/export/CD Brest” 34:05:00 06:01:72

Hope this could help !

I’ll try to create a new .toc that made crash Simplyburns and send you the crash report. But as I will travel all the day tomorow, I won’t send it before wenesday.

Many thanks

Peder >

As I say to Paul, I checked the audio file with a single track Cd. It was ok.
In my project, I putted 10 cd markers and 10 range markers, both at the same places. The .toc file should have gave me 20 indications for my Cd so, there is something wrong in the place !

And I think I removed about 1.762.635 (+/- 10%) times the markers (cd and ranges) before posting in the forum. I tried only ranges, only markers, both, without finding some logical correspondance with the .toc file.
I hope the crash reports will help to debug it !

Thanks for helping.

The ranges don’t end up in the toc, they’re only used for “Export ranges to audiofile”; you give the export a directory and you get the ranges as separate files in that dir.
As I said, you can see what ends up in the toc by looking at the Window/Locations dialog.

And FWIW your toc seems fine using 'cdrdao show-toc “CD Brest.toc” ’ in linux, apart from a slightly long first pregap; it’s 3.13 secs. Usually song pregaps are 2 secs but perhaps the lead-in pregap is bigger, idunno.

You also might want to remove the whitespace in the filenames, to make sure that’s not the problem.

Peder, Paul >

Finally, everithing’s ok ! I modified the .toc file by changing the audio file name at each cd index and simplyburns burned me the cd I wanted.

So, the pink noise was due to .wav extension missing either in the .toc file indexes or the audio file itself. Maybe both… I’ll send a post to simplyburns developpers to let them know.

Paul > Despite this little bug, I think there is something wrong using the location menu and zoom in/out 'cause I made ardour bug with space bar
this afternoon. The autoreturn was impossible to activate, too. I encountered this bug using the location menu with index and ranges as I said in one of my recent post.
If I can help, except by donation ('cause I’ll do one new one now), please let me know. I don’t forget to cause a “wrong” .toc file making simplyburns crash.

Thanks a lot for your interest and help.