Burning Audio CD .cue File in Linux

I am having a hell of a time burning a CD from a .cue file created in Ardour.
I have a very very short project (maybe that’s the problem?). The whole thing is almost 9 minutes long.
4 tracks.
I left 2 second gap between the “Start” of the session and the CD marker for the first track.
The .cue file and .toc file seem accurate. The .toc file was edited to reflect the new absolute file path to the .wav file (my recording computer and my everything else computer are two different boxes).
Brasero kept giving me an error and giving up without burning anything. Consensus seems to be that Brasero is trash, so I tried xfburn. xfburn gives no errors, acts like everything is just fine, but now that CD-R can’t be recognized by either of my 2 optical drives.
Anyone have success with burning from .cue files in Linux? Software suggestions?

Maybe use the .toc instead (Ardour can export .toc and .cue) then simply run

cdrdao write file.toc
1 Like

For what it’s worth, direct from Ardour I always use cdrdao write xxx.cue with no problems. You might need to use the --device option. To figure out your drives run cdrdao scanbus beforehand then run something along the lines of cdrdao write --device /dev/sr0 xxx.cue.

Also, I didn’t think you could burn wav+cue or wav+toc in xfburn. That might explain why your disc isn’t being recognized…

EDIT: Something also to note, all cue image burners and DDP creation tools that I’ve used will add the required 2-second pregap if missing in order to maintain redbook standard.

1 Like

This worked perfectly, thank you both so much. Sort of unbelievable that there is so much bad CD burning software out there. cdrdao is simple and painless.

Ah wait… so the metadata doesn’t show up however. The audio burned just fine. Plays on the computer’s optical drive as well as the car stereo. But neither reads the metadata.

Try adding --driver generic-mmc:0x10 to the command.

1 Like

Bless your heart @anon60445789
So in case this is ever looked up anyone else, the end all be all is as such:

run:
cdrdao scanbus
In order to indentify the absolute file path of the optical drive you wish to use. Then:
cdrdao write --device [FILEPATH FOR DRIVE] --driver generic-mmc:0x10 [FILEPATH FOR .TOC FILE]
You should specifically see an line on the output that says “Writing CD-TEXT lead-in…”. If you got that, then you should be good.

And just to cross the t and dot the i, this can also be a .cue file.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.