Best practise on 'fixing' notes.

Hi being completely brand new to Ardour after having used windows daws in the past, I decided to try and mix a demo song recorded on outboard gear. So I imported the files, got the sound all patched in and assigned to outputs which is now sounding great.

I notice that the double bass is slightly out of tune in a few places, not enough to warrant re recording, but needs to be fixed. So a job for cut and paste in the Daw’s I have used in the past.

But, when I cut out the note from the region, there is no hole left to paste in a copied note. The regions are pushed together.

I am sorry if this seems a stupid question, but I have looked in the forums and through the menus to no avail. There is a lot of terminology I am not used to in the menus, perhaps I am overlooking something.

So, is there an option to leave a hole to be pasted into, do I need to empty the sliced region and leave it in situ, or is there a better workflow for this operation?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

OK found it, make sure it’s in slide edit mode, but still, is there a better way?

Thanks

Steve

You don’t necessarily need to create a “hole” to insert a copy of a correct note. You could simply layer this copy on top of the other region.

The way I might do this would be to switch the edit point to “marker” and place an edit marker at the point where the note should be inserted (destination point). Then select the range tool and select the note you want to insert (source range). Then Ctrl+c (copy) and Ctrl+v (insert) to copy the note to it’s destination.

One maybe could look at it as a bit poor replacement for 3 point edit mode - even though it would be nice to see true 3 and 4 point edit in a future version of Ardour.

stevel05: i would not recommend using splice edit mode. its sort an experiment, and at this point, not a very successful one.

the CLA: i have said before and i’ll say it again that nobody has ever, ever explained to me just why “3 point edit” and “4 point edit” is so great. everyone i have spoken to about these things seems to have learnt them on systems that can’t do the sorts of things a modern DAW can do, and that render them unnecessary and actually very inefficient. Please feel free to try to convince me otherwise.

@paul: I must admit that I never have actually worked with a DAW that implements these editing features. But from what I have read, workflow wise it seems much quicker to select source and destination in and out points and then execute the operation with a single keystroke (of course still being able to finetune the result afterwards) than using another approach. But I’m also open to be convinced otherwise. :wink:

So far I used the approach I described above to do 3-point-edit-like operations (wich btw. needs 2 keystrokes instead of 1 to copy). But when the new editing model was introduced it was considered to remove the range tool (if I remember this correctly). I don’t know if this is still considered, but in this case this workflow wouldn’t be possible anymore. This would mean to have either moving around regions manually or jumping back and forth to select different edit points/ranges. Are there any suggestions for an alternative workflow? Especially in the case of 4 point edit I don’t see an alternative to quickly achieve the desired results.

As I said I never worked with these editing models and so I can’t judge how well the implementaion in different DAWs is, but I think the Idea behind it is quite good. There might be a lot of room for discussion how such a feature could actually be implemented.

Thanks to both of you, Paul: I will stay away from the splice edit mode (I must admit I didn’t realize I had it on in the first place).

the C.L.A: I haven’t heard the terms 3 point or 4 point edit, but the method you outline seems to me very slick, and works well. I haven’t used ranges in that way in previous software, if it was possible. My fault, I just try to use what I know and get the job done without investigating too much. Ardour may introduce me to new processes and workflows.

Thanks again

Steve