best plugin(s) for fattening delay

Hi,

I’m interested in hearing some different opinions on the subject of fattening delays and what plugins suit the task best on linux/ardour (and how stable they are), and maybe also how do you use them!

Cheers
Alessio

Why?

because every time I try a ladspa plugin I never tried before (yesterday it was rubber band pitch shifter) I seem to run into issues (like randomly getting +300db of clip distorsion on the track output after a while), and so far I never tried any delay plugin in ardour, and anybody who has had a good and long experience of stability with one could save me a lot of time of trial and error with a simple suggestion, or finding out unexpected issues after hours of work. It has happened to me already with the above rubber band pitch shifter, with tap reverb, invada meter, steve harris multiband compressor. And the list goes on. Basically, before linuxdsp plugins came out, I was about to give up with ardour. I could wait until linuxdsp makes a delay plugin, but I think I’m gonna need to use one within the next few days…

@ dissected & musty

Thanks for your suggestions! I forgot to keep an eye on this thread for a while, I’ll try all this ASAP! Thanks again!

@ vervelover

I know exactly what you’re talking about with some of the ladspa plugins. The most usable one I found was “canyon delay.” You might also consider (assuming you’re on linux) compiling with VST support as that will greatly expand your options. Using delays in place of reverb is a nice way to get some space without hazing up a mix especially in denser mixes.

I use calf vintage delay for voice and electric guitar.

For voice you can start with the following settings:
Delay Time Tempo: 3 times what the session tempo is set at
Subdivide: 6
Time L: 3
Time R: 6
Mix Mode: Stereo
Medium: Tape
Dry Amount: 0.0db
Amount: 0.0db

For guitar you can start with the following settings:
Delay Time Tempo: 2/3 multiplied by the tempo of the part you want to delay
Subdivide: 6
Time L: 3
Time R: 6
Mix Mode: Stereo
Medium: Tape
Dry Amount: 0.0db
Amount: 0.0db

Of course you can mess around with it from there. Good luck. And please post your findings!