Behringer xtouch master control works fine but audio tracks are not visible

Good day,
I purchased a Behringer xtouch and installed Ardour on my linux distribution in order to improve my recording workflow. After some tweaking back and fourth I could indeed establish a mackie control connection between Ardour and xtouch, where the general project controls (play, stop, etc.) as well as the master fader works in both directions. So I can adjust the master volume in both ways.

However, none of the audio tracks are available at my xtouch. All the channel strips are empty and I can’t find a way to have the tracks shown in my xtouch. The audio tracks are not hidden in Ardour. I tried to switch banks on xtouch to make sure the xtouch did not end up on a wrong page/bank.
What am I missing or what could be the issue that the individual audio tracks are not available in my xtouch? I read through the other xtouch-related issues in the forum but none seemed to have my specific issue.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

I’ve been using my X-touch since Ardour 8, and I’m having lots of issues in 9.8. I began trying to debug the issues earlier this month, but unfortunately, I haven’t been able to determine too many patterns.

Here’s what I’ve found so far:

Ardour 9.7: X-touch is, for the most part, working as well as it did in 8. I can control:

  • all transport
  • all tracks, buses, VCAs in global view
  • all tracks via ‘Audio Tracks’ view
  • all VCAs via ‘Audio Inst’ view
  • all audio buses via ‘Aux’ and/or ‘Buses’ view
  • master (or monitor) via the ‘MAIN’ fader in all views

Ardour 9.8: it’s partially working on some sessions, barely on others

  • on most sessions, I can use the transport controls
  • on some sessions, I can control the main/monitor only (as mentioned in the OP)
  • on other sessions, I can control the main/monitor + audio tracks, but not aux or VCAs

I’ll open a bug report at tracker.ardour.org, if one isn’t already open.

(ETA: I also tried the latest nightly 9.8.101. Same results.)

Issue: Making sure you're not a bot!

Are you using Pipewire’s JACK implementaiton?

No, I’m running jack2 1.9.21