Aux Send & Panning

I’ve got a question about how Aux Send and Panning works in Ardour 6.5.

Here’s the steps I’ve taken:

• Unlink Send Panners by Default
    • edit >> preferences >> Mixer >> Send Routing >> Link Panners >> untick
  • Create a midi track with General Midi Synth
  • Create an audio bus
  • Create an aux send from the midi track to the audio bus
  • Disable master out from the midi track
  • Play a sustained note, move the panning knob on the audio bus, panning changes
  • Play a sustained note, move the panning knob on the midi track, panning doesn’t change

What I’d like to be able to do is control the panning being sent to the audio bus from the midi track, is that possible?

Yes. either control the panner of the aux-send directly(*), or undo step 1. When the panners are linked, changing the main-channel panner (here MIDI track) will also change the panning of the aux-path.

You can also individually un/link panner controls in the context-menu of the aux under “Send options”.

(*) To edit the aux-panner directly, you can either double-click send on the MIDI track, or use “Show Sends” on the target audio bus. The fader and pan of the source strip will change to show the send instead (note the color change to blue).

1 Like

Thanks Robin, but that’s not the behavior I’m seeing.

I’ve re-linked the panners by default and restared Ardour.

• Create a midi track with General Midi Synth
  • Create an audio bus
  • Create an aux send from the midi track to the audio bus
  • Disable master out from the midi track
  • Confirm that send options >> link panner control is enabled
  • Adjust the panner of the midi track, panning does not change
  • Double click on the send, no panner visible
  • Go to mixer view and click show sends, still no panner visible when it changes to the send view

Am I missing a step?

Have you created a Mono Audio Bus perhaps?

1 Like

damnit, I didn’t even think to look there and you’re exactly right.
Thank you!

One more question related to this, should it work the same way with subgroups?

My current example is identical to what I posted above except that I’m using DrumGizmo, Strict I/O, fanout to a 16 channel group.

In this case, even after confirming link panner controls is set, the main panner doesn’t adjust panning. If I

(*) edit the aux-panner directly, you can either double-click send on the MIDI track, or use “Show Sends” on the target audio bus. The fader and pan of the source strip will change to show the send instead (note the color change to blue).

Then I can change the panning via the aux-panner successfully but when I switch back, the channel panner will be unchanged (though the aux-panner panning will still be in effect)

If you are using a 16 channel subgroup, is your master bus also 16 channel? If not you are likely using two different panners that cannot be linked (Ie. your subgroup is 16 channel which would use something like VBAP by default, and your master bus is using the standard stereo panner)

Thanks for the clarification y’all

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.