Assigning control surface bank left/right keys

I’ve gotten my x32 working with Ardour, audio and control surface and all. Now I’m trying to figure out how to switch the 8 bus faders on the x32 to the next or previous bank of tracks in Ardour. I see there are function keys under “show protocol settings,” but they’re all strings of dots. There’s a context menu, but I don’t know what to do with that. How do I set the bank left/right keys so I can switch the 8 x32 bus faders to the next bank of Ardour tracks?

I figured it out after finding a page talking about the GROUP DCA 1-8 button on the x32 having to do with controlling bank selection. I held that button down and noticed that the mute buttons above the 8 bus faders have various functions, including bank left and right.

las, the x32 does appear to Just Work. Let me know if I can help you document or confirm things.

Also, the group dca button will show transport functions, which work. Play, record arm, ff, reverse, and stop. There does not appear to be a rew to beginning remote control button. You still need to manually arm individual tracks.

What would be nice is controlling faders using the 16 main faders, but that would be for Behringer to implement.

Feature request for ardour: when using a control surface, have the group of currently controlled tracks light up in some way. This would make it easier to see what you’re controlling when switching faders from bank to bank. I hope that makes sense.

Mackie Control Protocol only allows 8 faders per MIDI port. Hardware with > 16 faders requires > 1 port.

I’d be ok with using multiple ports for that.

Came back to say that I downloaded the Linux x32-edit program and it crashed with an illegal instruction message before going anywhere at all. A little searching revealed that this is a common problem for 64-bit Linux users. The good news is the Windows executable appears to run well under wine. I was able to connect to my x32 and sync. I can see corresponding faders moving in x32-edit. Haven’t tested anything else yet.

This is looking like a very Linux-friendly mixer.