Are VST plugins less stable on linux?

Good afternoon
I’m currently working with Ardour 7.5.609 on AVL 21.3, with ALSA sound system.
I have previously had a lot of problems with Ardour crashes.
Some of these seem to be related to plugins.
I have found that if I only use LV2 or LADSPA plugins my system is pretty stable, (touch wood!), but as soon as I start on VST and particularly it seems VST3, crashes start again.
I wonder if anyone else has had this experience and if there could be some reason for it?

This has most everything to do with the quality of plugin really. So long as all are compiled for linux, and not Windows utilizing something like YaBridge etc., then all the formats should in theory be just as stable as the rest, and I don’t know of any reason one would be more stable than the other really.

That doesn’t mean that specific plugins are better tested on some formats than others honestly, and there is some ambiguity in some plugin specs that allow for different interpretations between plugin manufacturers and between hosts, so it can be different, but in general this applies in different ways to all specs, so no real reason there.

Seablade

I think I had issues with Dragonfly reverbs in VST format that didn’t show up in LV2 ones.
But as @seablade mentioned it’s about the plugin itself, not Ardour.

If you can reproduce now, please report them here. @Michael_Willis is active on the forum, and has done a super job staying up with reports.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.