Ardour3 Beta 1a released

I’ve only played a little bit with the Beta, but it looks very impressive.

Did I donate in time to get the percentage gauge to spill over?

heh! i was just sending an email to RME explaining why i think they should widen their support for Linux, not just PCI but FW and USB, and i found myself telling them that the eventual release of A3.0 would probably mark a big change in the number of Linux Audio users, people looking for good low cost software for home studios may break the bank and get better hardware than over rated highly priced software, and i felt right there! that it will be a sort of a big step… nobody certainly knows it… thats obvious but i really believe that it will be a big step for open source audio and software in general, its the change of the software to be “user friendly” and reliable that can reach a wider public (the average user that doesn’t know a single command in the terminal).

Just though it was right to say it, devs!! thanks !!!

AFAIK, RME’s PCI cards have been well supported under Linux for quite some time via ALSA (although I don’t know much about their newer offerings - maybe something’s changed for them).

For RME’s firewire devices you might like to check out the FFADO project at http://www.ffado.org. Headway is being made in supporting the fireface 400/800 devices with some support from RME. Support for the more recent devices may follow once these two are dealt with.

Disclaimer: I am a primary developer on the FFADO project, responsible for the MOTU and RME drivers.

Congratulations! I’m downloading now and can’t wait to try it out!

The latest Beta 3 release of Ardour will not boot, it crashes on an Intel Powerbook Pro, 2GB ram, OSX 10.5.8. is there any way to keep ardour from booting with plugins active? perhaps it is a faulty plugin issue. I noticed version 2xx loads a bunch of my AU and takes quite a while to boot. I guess I can try putting the plugins in a separate folder but it would be nice if I could deactivate them on boot without having to jump through hoops

@wolfeman: i will roll a new beta3a (or something) very soon to fix some of the issues that crept in right as beta3 was packaged. Watch the news page for more. Loading plugins only takes a significant time the first time Ardour is started - it builds a cache of information it needs from plugins and doesn’t bother to load them again during booting unless they appear to have changed.