Ardour3 Beta 1a released

@nixcamic: i think full AU support is more a matter of time+development than a version or donation thing, anyway if you are not suscribed yet it may be a good moment for it, i’ve been using A3A10 along Mixbus on Linux for the past 9 months probably and besides the learning process (ive never been this deep into DAWs) which is different from Win or Mac (basicly because of jack…) its all been a great experience sharing info and helping in the alpha process as much as i could as a user, i actually believe that the “very horizontal” structure of this comunity gives the basis and strenght to the comunity itself and A3. thanks again for all that work dev team!

@nixcamic: as we get closer to the final release of 3.0, i will do something to make available “full” versions with AU parameter save/restore working. this is only a beta, and i don’t want to ask people to pay for something in its current condition.

and for those of you wondering where the linux native VST support came from, given that I said I would not do it, you can thank Mike Start of LinuxDSP for the work.

@paul: understood, thanks. And thanks Mike.

Brilliant to see so many fixes and features! Thanks to all contributors for this packed beta release!

Waited a long time but Great work.!!
Just wondering if there is a video track inside Ardour 3 like nuendo.

Just wanted to say how happy I am with Ardour3 so far. I’ve done one full EP with alpha5, and am currently working on a couple of full length albums using A3beta as well. I haven’t had any major issues so far, and A3’s extra functionality has enabled me to stop using Qtractor for midi (helping with disk clutter as well), and the new rhythm ferret’s snap functions have allowed me to stop using Melodyne for audio quantization as well (which recently required me installing Windows in a VM as wine compatibility broke). Also, I’ve been getting in the habit of recording all songs in a single session for ease of mixing, and the new “glue marker to bars and beats” is fantastic!

The improvements to Ardour so far have saved me hours of my precious time, and it’s only getting better. Keep up the great work!

@antonvdh

Short version of that answer is no. There is a much longer version;)

Seablade

@antonvdh

I’m not sure what you mean by “videotrack”, but I have found xjadeo (http://xjadeo.sourceforge.net/) to be very useful when working with soundtracks.

@antonvdh

and here is the long version:

http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl

@lokki very impressive! Looklng forward to this being in a release of Ardour!

@paul: can’t wait!

whaaaaaaat? did not know about that… that looks great man!.. a 2-Dimensional PAN in Ardour that allow users to export up to … 6 to 8 tracks according to a surround enviroment would be a great addition to Ardour … i think that would make a huge evolving step in open source film and video making, who knows? referring to A3 Beta… there´s a saying in my country… “if this is how it rains… let it keep raining”… or something like that… is in spanish xD

@fernesto: robin’s work will be merged into a3 right after we release 3.0

I am familiar with the long version but never got it working.

Xjadeo is a good option.
I was just wondering if add a video track within ardour 3 beta was possible like nuendo and some other daw’s can.
But no problem xjadeo is fine for me.

@christophski

just to clarify: i have nothing to do with the development of this patch… i was just aware of the patch for a2 and thought it could be available for a3 as well. a quick google search gave me the link. :slight_smile:

@lokki ah ok :stuck_out_tongue: I will email the developer :slight_smile:

You’re doing a great job with Ardour 3.0! Every new Ardour release makes me more enthusiastic about this software.

In my opinion, a little investment in Ardour’s multichannel capabilities and it will become a really irresistible software. I know most of the commercial audio world is still stereo-oriented, but the artistic working field for multi-channel is expanding quickly (surround soundtracks, sound installations, electroacoustics, etc). Please, don’t stay behind! You’re almost there!

Two major suggestions:

SPEAKER CONFIGURATION > That’s a great new feature! It would be nice to add some preset configurations with common multi-channel setups (such as quadraphonic, octophonic, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround for instance).

2D-PANNER > Allow free spatial placement of channels (instead of nowadays “around the circle” panning). Enable automation.
[i’ve been told Ardour’s 2D panner is based on VBAP (vector based amplitude panning) and that other approaches such as Ambisonics may be more sophisticated/flexible, but a fully featured native VBAP panner would solve 90% of the cases and make Ardour really powerful for multi-channel production.]

I’d be glad to help sponsoring such improvements. I’ve been working with Ardour a lot in the last two years and really like it. It would be great to see it’s multichannel potential fully developed. As I said before, it looks like you’re almost there!

Thanks for everything and keep up the good work folks!

@rodolfo: http://ardour.org/ambisonics … this all still applies to ardour3 as well.

@antonvdh: It is possible - but not with official beta releases.

As I understood Paul: Merging the videotimeline branch before 3.0 would be /too much of a good thing/. Getting a solid 3.0 release out of the door has priority.

I’m glad you like xjadeo; the videotl branch does allow to [tech]

• launch xjadeo from ardour3 ; remember session parameters.
  • call ‘ffmpeg’ to import videos, extract audio, session-export: MUX and encode AV.
  • display a video-track in ardour (decoding is done by external video server)

As for getting it working: You need to know how to compile [ardour3]; the rest is a piece of cake: There are statically linked version of ffmpeg, xjadeo and icsd (the video-server) available for Linux, OSX and win32. The source is debianized and all dependencies are already in Debian (and thus also most other GNU/Linux distributions out there).

Bug reports, feature requests & discussion on ardour-dev email list.

This is the same answer I got during the ardour 2.x releases.
But no problem .

"As I understood Paul: Merging the videotimeline branch before 3.0 would be /too much of a good thing/. Getting a solid 3.0 release out of the door has priorit "

@jancsika: you did, thanks very much! hope to get beta2 out soon.