ardour2 stopped opening sessions

Hi,

I was happyly using ardour2 for a while (version packaged by ubuntu studio). But it stopped opening sessions, whether new or recent.
I tried fiddling around the .ardour file but it did not lead to anything.

A few observations :

• I found that one of the wav files in my_session/interchange/my_session/ became empty (size 0) and this is a mystery to me.
  • When try to open a NEW session from a shell, I get the following error messages :

Ardour/GTK 2.0
(built using 1762 and GCC version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4))
Copyright © 1999-2007 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright © Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui.rc
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
loading system configuration file /etc/ardour2/ardour_system.rc
loading user configuration file /home/thorgal/.ardour2/ardour.rc
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /home/thorgal/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: “Generic MIDI”
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: “Mackie”
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]

(ardour-2.0:19849): Gtk-WARNING **: Refusing to add non-unique action ‘Export’ to action group ‘Main’
loading bindings from /etc/ardour2/ardour.bindings
Loading session /home/thorgal/data/test_session using snapshot test_session (2)
ardour: [FATAL]: programming error: unknown slave source string “”

what is going on ???
I booted my PC a couple times, restarted jack and so on. Ardour refuses to cooperate any longer … and that’s a shame, I really enjoy this program (when it works :wink: !

I hope someone can give me a hint.

For information, my system is :

Mobo : Intel DG965SS
Proc : Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4 GHz)
RAM : 4 x 1G (some Kingston PC6400)
HDD1 : Samsung Spinpoint P80 (for the OS)
HDD2 : Western Digital WD5000KS-22M (for data)
Sound: M-Audio Delta-1010LT

Kernel : 2.6.22-9-rt (realtime ubuntu kernel)
Using jackd realtime, -p 64 -n 2

So, everything was working fine until it started behaving so (I cannot say that I did anything strange, it just happened suddenly).

Thanks again for tips.

T.

By the way, I forgot to mention that ardour 0.99.3 works fine (I had to uninstall ardour2). I also compiled the latest tarball (2.0.4) and it gave me the same problem. So I can stick with ardour 0.99.3 for the moment.

built the svn version of ardour2. Problem gone :slight_smile:

2.0.5 works great! thanks :slight_smile:

two things though :

1- when I set transport control to JACK so that other apps start altogether, rolling through plays fine until it gets to the end of the ardour session. There seems then to be a “fight” between ardour and jack as to what the playhead should do. There’s a very fast alternating sequence between the play and stop buttons that I can kill by clicking on the stop button. It’s because Jack wants to keep rolling on while ardour knows that the session reached its end. Is there something I can set somewhere to avoid this “epilectic” behavior of the play/stop actions ??

2- this is not exactly ardour specific : non users of the mixing interface “envy24control” can ignore the rest of the post.

When I start jackd (e.g. through qjackctl), I lose my hardware routing. I use envy24control to reroute the inputs to the “Digital Mix L and R” for hardware monitoring but jackd rearranges this routing and sends PCM1 and PCM2 to the outputs so I lose my h/w monitoring and have to set it back each time I start a jackd session. Any tip to prevent jackd from doing so ?

Thanks!

… looks like I am talking to myself … :smiley: