Ardour won't start

I downloaded Jacklab 1.0, based on opensuse and everything runs fine except Ardour, the one app I really plan to use. When I click the icon, Ardour appears on the taskbar, but never runs, it just closes and I don’t get any error windows or anything.

I have an AMD Athlon 1.3 GHZ processor, plenty of memory and a Soundblaster Live Platinum soundcard. I’m not a real Linux hacker, but if you give me directions I can follow them and I catch on quick.

I installed the latest version of Ardour also and sitll no luck. Can anyone start me off in the right direction?

Try starting it from a console, by opening one and entering :
ardour2

It should give some hints as to what is wrong.

I’ll try that, thanks

ALrighty, I did that and here’s what I got as an error message:

"WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory. You can view the memory limit with ’ulimit -l’, and it is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
"

Do I go and fool with the /etc/security/limits.conf file now? If so, what shouldI do?

Thanks in advance.

Double post, sorry.

Ardour should still start despite that warning about limits, as far as I know.

Does it say anything else on the console as well after that?

Is jack running? Ardour will normally start it automatically if it is not. If Ardour is not starting Jack, you could try starting it by hand, either from the console with jackd, or using qjackctl.

I’ve decided to try changing to 64 Studio since I’ve had Ardour running under that distro and others. I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks for your time.

I installed Ubuntu Studio and everything went swimmingly and Ardour works. All is well. Thanks again for your help.

I installed Ubuntu Studio and everything went swimmingly and Ardour works. All is well. Thanks again for your help.