Ardour won't open project

Hi,

I hope somebody might be able to help me out.

Ardour crashed as follows: I pressed “Space” to stop the current recording as I did all evening. With the pressing of “Space”, Ardour didn’t answer anymore and I had to force the program to quit. When I tried to relaunch, it informed me that it had registered that it crashed during a recording and it asked me to either recreate the part that I had been doing when it crashed or to forfeit these data (and do that last part again or whatever). I chose the latter, the Ardour logo came on where it says that it’s loading the tracks etc., but then the logo disappeared and nothing happened.

When I restarted the computer, Ardour again showed me the two after-crash options. This time I opted for recreation of the data, but the result was the same: Ardour logo - and nothing.

I had no problem opening and working on any other projects. When I tried to open the project that had crashed from within Ardour with another project running, it also gave me the logo, and then the program disappeared and I was back on Ubuntu.

No error message ever came up.

I didn’t find anything really useful on the forum, so I hope somebody will have an idea (it would be a pain in the … to do it all again).

I am using Ardour 4.4.0 on Ubuntu 14.04.

Thank you very much!
Tom

Hello folks!

I'm new here... I started my first project in Ardour yesterday and got a similar problem. I use Ardour 4.4.0 in Ubuntu Studio 14.04 LTS, with a Presonus Audiobox USB. While I was listening to the project I removed an Auxiliar Send. I instantly got a strange noise, so I saved the project and closed Ardour. But now when I try to open the project, Ardour simply disappears after the "Audio/Midi Setup"... Once I can create new projects em edit them, I think that the project file is corrupt. But What should I do? Is it possible to recover a corrupt project? Does any one have any idea about what may have hapenned?

Stay well!
Marcelo

I finally managed to recover the raw tracks! After six hours of research and XML editing on the ardour project file, I reached a procedure that worked out (see https://community.ardour.org/node/1631): First I copied the sources, regions and playlists from the old corrupt ardour file to a new empty project in gedit. Then, I copied each track (one by one) to the new project. Each time I added a new track, I needed to open Ardour and remove all effects, sends and reset its output to master bus… otherwise the project wouldn’t open again. I repeated this procedure to each track and it worked. At least I recovered the recording effort!! Now I learned the importance of saving snapshots, specially before adding plugins!!!

Stay well!
Marcelo

You can tell Ardour to open without any plugins, which is the primary cause of this (Bad plugins). I believe the command line switch for this is -d

On the flip side you just learned a LOT about how Ardour sessions are handled:)

Seablade

Yes, I learned a lot!! The right command on a terminal window to do this is: /opt/Ardour-4.4.0/bin/ardour4 -B. It will start any project with all plugins and auxiliar sends turned off… project opens normally!!

Stay well you all!