Ardour with Line 6 UX1 (Ubuntu 12.10)

Hello,

I’m currently running Ubuntu 12.10 with Line 6 UX1 interface. It gives the green light when plugged in the USB port and is recognized by both JACK (QjackCtl) and Ardour. Problem is, when I try to start the Audio Engine with the UX1 recognized as the Interface and both Input/Output Devices in the ‘Advanced’, a problem surrounding JACK pops up and asks me to try different parameters. I’ve done so and it still doesn’t work. I have JACK set up to recognize the UX1 as both Input/Output devices as well.

Can anyone here help me with this?

I suggest starting jack with QJackCtl before using Ardour to make sure Jack is working. Instructions here: http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch015_starting-jack-on-ubuntu/ Also, as an Ubuntu user I suggest you check out the kxstudio ppa’s which have lots of good audio applications.

Note to Paul: link to Ardour flossmanual on the support page is broken

Yeah. I’ve tried starting QJackCtl but I always get an error.

“Could not connect to JACK server as client.
-Overall operation failed
-Server communication failed.”

Need the output of the messages window of QJackCTL, preferably with Verbose Messages enabled in QJackCTL’s setup.

Seablade

I enabled the Verbose Messages in Setup and I’m still getting the same errors.

@mc5: if you want people to help you, you will need to specify what parameters you were actually trying and show the actual messages from JACK.

I actually copied a message from JACK in first post. The other messages are:

“JACK server could not be started. Sorry.”
“31mERROR:Failed to open server”
“Checkres error”
“JackSocketClientChannel read fail”
“Could not connect to JACK server as client. -Overall operation failed. -Server communication error.”

As for parameters, the only changes that remain are what I’ve already written. The Input/Output and Interface are selected as ‘Pod Studio UX1’. Everything else is default. I’ve tried messing with the Buffer size and Sample Rate to no avail.

That message indicates that JACK is already running.

I don’t do tech support on forums - it’s a stupid medium for that purpose. Find us on IRC (See the support page).

@mc5

We need the entire contents of the message window of QJackCTL, from the time you hit START in QJackCTL to the time it says it can’t start Jack. There are generally lots of messages before what you posted that will shed some light on to what is going on.

Seablade

“23:19:36.610 Patchbay deactivated.
23:19:36.643 Statistics reset.
23:19:37.152 ALSA connection change.
23:19:37.266 D-BUS: Service is available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
Cannot read socket fd = 23 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open qjackctl client
23:19:42.375 ALSA connection graph change.”

Thu Feb 28 23:20:45 2013: Starting jack server…
Thu Feb 28 23:20:45 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: `default’ server already activee[0m
Thu Feb 28 23:20:45 2013: e[1me[31mERROR: Failed to open servere[0m
Thu Feb 28 23:20:47 2013: Saving settings to " " …
23:20:59.326 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Server communication error. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot read socket fd = 23 err = Success
CheckRes error
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open qjackctl client