Ardour Will Not Start on Fedora

When I try to start , and this applies to all versions I have tried, I get:

/home/rikiheck/ > ardour8
WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs
out of memory. You can view the memory limit with ‘ulimit -l’, and it
is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

bind txt domain [gtk2_ardour8] to /usr/local/share/ardour8/locale
Ardour8.1.0 (built using 8.1 and GCC version 13.2.1 20231011 (Red Hat 13.2.1-4))
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 524288 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading system configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour8/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: AuthenticAMD
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: AVX with FMA capable processor
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics
Ardour: [INFO]: Using AVX and FMA optimized routines
Ardour: [INFO]: Set Clip Library directory to ‘/home/rikiheck/.local/share/sounds/clips’
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /usr/local/share/ardour8/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: add_lrdf_data ‘/home/rikiheck/.config/ardour8/rdf:/usr/local/share/ardour8/rdf:/usr/local/share/ladspa/rdf:/usr/share/ladspa/rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/ladspa.rdfs’
Ardour: [INFO]: read rdf_file ‘file:///usr/share/ladspa/rdf/ladspa-rubberband.rdf’
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading default ui configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour8/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 457 MIDI patches from /usr/local/share/ardour8/patchfiles
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/local/share/ardour8/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Ardour: [ERROR]: Patch without patch name list - patchfile will be ignored

and then top shows Ardour running at 100% CPU, but nothing ever happens. This is on Fedora 38, using self-compiled 8.1, but the same thing (with slightly different output) happens with the ardour7 or ardour8 packages for Fedora.

Likely 0005605: Hangs while starting at loading UI config files - MantisBT

The official binary from Download Ardour | Ardour Community should not be affected, and you can work around by changing the gtk theme or setting the GTK2_RC_FILES as mentioned on the issue tracker.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.