Ardour is an open source application for recording, editing and music music & sound for Linux, OS X and Windows. The project started over 16 years ago, and has seen contributions from more than 70 programmers. It recently reached its 5.0 release milestone. It generates sufficient revenue to pay its lead developer a reasonable salary, as well as covering all costs associated with its network presence.
The Ardour project currently needs a small number of small/medium web-related tasks to improve the web experience associated with the application's user community. Although the lead developer also functions as primary web administrator, and has sufficient web development skills to accomplish these tasks, this increasingly seems time inefficient. We have some compensation available for the work (amount(s) to be negotiated).
Ardour currently uses 5 independent web sites:
- static site
- static site
- Drupal dynamic site mostly for forums, articles with comment threads, and payment logic/processing.
- Mantis bug tracker
- hand-coded semi-static site
The work to be done mostly concerns community.ardour.org, so the person who undertakes the work should have some reasonable understanding of both PHP and Drupal, even if ultimately other web technologies are chosen.
The specific tasks that need to be done are outlined below. We suspect that it is most likely that someone would tackle one of these tasks at one time (they are mostly, though not entirely independent).
- Modernize forum (https://github.com/discourse/discourse or similar), keep existing posts and comments (currently drupal)
- Share user credentials and permissions across all sites: payment, forum, bug-tracker, download, nightly
- Migrate existing user-database (currently drupal salted md5 hash) to whatever it'll be.
- Integrate new(er) online payment toolkits into our existing models.
- (optionally) Update the bug-tracker
If you are interested in tackling one of more of these tasks, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org including an indication of your technical background and estimated compensation level. Ideally we'd like someone who cares about Ardour as much as we do, but fundamentally, the work just needs to get done.
Feel free to post this announcement in any appropriate places.