Ardour uses a lot less resources than other DAWs

Ardor uses much less resources with the same Plugins than other digital audio workstations on Linux.
12gb RAM, AMD Athlon Gold, Linux Mint 19.3 with low latency kernel and Ubuntu Studio 18.04 packages

Other 92.12%

Ardor uses much less resources with the same Plugins than other digital audio workstations on Linux.
12gb RAM, AMD Athlon Gold, Linux Mint 19.3 with low latency kernel and Ubuntu Studio 18.04 packages

Ardour Only 4%

Keep in mind there is a difference between DSP as read in Ardour, and CPU usage.

CPU is a measurement of the load on the CPU, or a core of the CPU depending on what you are looking at.

DSP on the other hand is attempting to reflect the amount of processing available in each period/buffer, in terms of the amount of processing you have the capability to complete before the period would end, and you might get a dropout due to not filling the playback buffer or emptying the recording buffer. It is probably more useful for most people in audio honestly, but is a very different measurement than just CPU usage.

Seablade

Thanks for the Info. I posted this because was trying to do work with Klangfalter IR plugin in the other DAW but it crackles and sounds degraded, also with other reverb plugins, but in Ardour there’s no issue and sound great without any latency, even with a large stadium IR. Both with the same configuration and audio configuration!

One explanation is https://ardour.org/plugins-in-process.html (Ardour does not sandbox plugins, context switches are expensive).

2 Likes

in Ardour

In The Other DAW

A lot of difference, Ardour uses less CPU, same plugins, same project and same configuration, and the other DAW give me pikes like crazy with Klangfalter.

I readed, and it’s great to know, the other daw have the plugin sandboxing feature OFF, and give cpu pikes and sound crackles and Ardour everything sounds great and with low cpu consumption.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.