Ardour segfaults at launch

I’m running Ardour beta 12 on Ubuntu Edgy. I used to work fine, but now it crashes upon launch with these messages:

Loading ui configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui.rc

theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine

loading system configuration file /usr/local/etc/ardour2/ardour_system.rc

loading user configuration file /home/studio/.ardour2/ardour.rc

/home/studio/.ardour2/ardour.rc:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found

ardour: [ERROR]: Ardour: cannot read configuration file "/home/studio/.ardour2/ardour.rc"

/home/studio/.ardour2//instant.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty

/home/studio/.ardour2//instant.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
home/studio/.ardour2/ardour.rc:1: parser error : Document is empty
ardour: [WARNING]: Could not understand XML file /home/studio/.ardour2//instant.xml

Segmentation fault

Any thoughts?

If I don’t find a way to fix this, would it be safe to remove this version (which as built from source) and then add the ubuntustudio repository and reinstall ardour from there (even though I’m not running Feisty)?

I’m sorry, I messed up the formatting and the post got cut off for some reason. The last portion of the error messages were:

ardour: [ERROR]: Ardour: cannot read configuration file “/home/studio/.ardour2/ardour.rc”
/home/studio/.ardour2//instant.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty
/home/studio/.ardour2//instant.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, ‘<’ not found
home/studio/.ardour2/ardour.rc:1: parser error : Document is empty
ardour: [WARNING]: Could not understand XML file /home/studio/.ardour2//instant.xml
Segmentation fault

Anyway, if I can’t solve this, would it be safe to clean this installation (which was built from source) away and install ardour from the ubuntustudio repos (even though I don’t run Feisty)?

please post the contents of the named file (~/.ardour2/ardour.rc) so we can see what is in it.

I don’t have access to that computer right now. I’ll post it as soon as I can.

Ok, I have checked now, and the file ardour.rc is empty. Any suggestions on how to solve this or how it might have happened?

About installing from the ubuntustudio repos on edgy, is it safe?

Remove the ardour.rc and try again. Something must have gone horribly wrong when ardour was re-writing the .rc file.

I think using ubuntustudio repositories from edgy is ok. The ubuntustudio people will be able to give you a definite answer on that one though.