Ardour resampling

Hi!
Creating accidental FX effects using the connection from the Master track to a single stereo track & using powerful ardour tools:

• Record;
  • automatic creation of a new track while dragging an audio region to an empty space;
  • Cut;
  • Reverse;
  • Stretch;
  • sends to effect buses etc…

1 Like

this is what I have been looking for. I’m very new to Ardour. If you have some free time, I’d love a write up of how you did everything. I got a little lost in your video. Thanks so much for sharing.

1. First of all, what I had made for myself, when I decided to use Ardour in “fast” mode - I’ve learned shortcuts. You can find them in Window>Keyboard Shortcuts (Alt+K). Also you can reset them to your own. (I personally decided to learn the defaults – was strange after Cubase but the Linux is strange at all for windowsers :), now I have a habit)

2. I’ve learn about the routing power of Ardour. My principle:

2.1. If you press the INPUT or the OUTPUT button by the Left mouse button in the mixer strip - you’ll get the lists of connections – my favorite point is “Disconnect”(you can fast disconnect everything without delving specifically).

2.2. If you press the INPUT or the OUTPUT button by the Right mouse button in the mixer strip - you’ll get the connection matrix – the heart of Ardour. It’s a super-comfortable tool for detailed connection almost everything with everything.

2.3. Specially for “Re-sampling” my principle: to connect the OUTPUT of Master Track to the INPUT of my newly created “render” audio track. Of course, the OUTPUT of the “render” track I’ve “Disconnected”. (Ardour also will alert you about the cycle connection - a “Feedback” knob indicator splashes - if you will connect input and output from Master simultaneously)

1. Navigating in the Editor Window:

3.1. To ZoomIN/ZoomOUT – I scroll the mouse+Ctrl.

3.2. To move the view to right/left – I scroll the mouse+Shift.

3.3. To move the view up/down – I scroll the mouse.

3.4. Ctrl+F – lets me to switch between modes when your view is following or not following the Playhead (Also the option Transport>Stationary Playhead must be activated if you want a soft view flow).

3.5. Ctrl+T – lets me select all the trackheaders (except automation tracks – sadly, but Ardour can’t bunch select them at this time).

3.6. Ctrl+Alt+S – a custom shortcut I’ve made through: Window>Keyboard Shortcuts (Alt+K) (an item (tab)Editor>Editor>Small (to find fast – just type in the search stroke “Small”)) - lets me make all the selected tracks min-vertical size.

1. Recording:

4.1. Click Record button (Shift+B) in the track header. This enables recording for this track. Also you can activate this mode for few tracks (all if needed).

4.2. Click Record button for the global enabling of recording (Shift+R).

4.3. Press Space on your keyboard to Playback/Stop.

1. Manipulating with the regions:

5.1. Press “G” in your keyboard to activate the “Grab mode”. You can click the regions by left mouse button and grab them through the track or even to another track. The power of Ardour here – is the function of the automatic creation of the new track if you grab the region to an empty space of the Editor Window. (In the video I always disconnected automatically created connections with the physical ports(I’ve forgot that it’s not so comfortable) - but you can disable the automatic connections through: Edit>Preferences>Editor>Signal Flow>Track and Bus Connections>Connect track inputs>choose"manually")

5.2. Press “C” in your keyboard to activate the “Cut mode”.

5.3. Press “T” in your keyboard to activate the “Stretch mode”. If you click any region in this mode and drag to left or right – you’ll have a possibility to define the “stretch boundaries”.

5.4. Click the Right mouse button in the region area – you’ll get in to huge list of different functions:

5.4.1. I’ve used Normalizing feature (to make quiet regions louder)
5.4.2. Reverse feature is here, but in the video I’ve used the shortcut Alt+4

5.5. Alt+D - duplicate the selected region

wo! )

1 Like
  1. Send effects.
    I usually make some Buses for reverb and any CPU hungry effects and use them globally in the session. After my Buses are made - I make a postfader send in the mixerstrip (a right mouse button click at the area below the fader knob). Choose “New Aux Send…” and find the necessary Bus.
1 Like

I watched your video the day you posted it. It seemed very cool but not in the realm of things I do. However, your two replies to @mylenek just taught me so many keyboard shortcuts I didn’t know haha. That was awesome, thank you.

1 Like

Welcome, drsaamah! Glad to know :)! The first time I studied the keyboards - it was very unusual for me. The most difficult was to remember the position of fingers to G, E, D, T, R (I even tried to change them to 1,2,3,4…, but found the conflict with the 1- Zoom focus, 2 - Snap/Grid Mode, 3 - Snap/Grid Units, …). Now my habit is strong and I have no any difficulties. Also I realized that the natural position of my left hand fingers are in the “G, E, D, T, R” area. Fun thing is that the Ardour6 is now changing the shortcuts destinations for"1,2,3…" - the habits must be changed again :)) But the “G, E, D, T, R” is still working.

1 Like