Ardour record volume

I’m trying to run Ardour on my PC using a Mint live CD
I select jack and qjackctl and Ardour and try to record. I am using a M-Audio fastrack pro usb sound card. Whe I select the mixer no faders appear and I am not getting a signal. How do I set the imput to recognize fastrack pro and how do I get the faders to appear. Are the problems because I am trying to run Ardour from a live mint CD? I have 2GB of memory.
I’m also getting the message that jack is closing becase Ardour is too slow.
Help please!

Did you add some tracks in the main window? While Mint can be a nice version of Linux to use for regular multimedia playback, no live CD will have very good performance as far as running Ardour.

I can’t imagine that Ardour will run smooth from a live CD, but I’ve never tried…

Dude, that sounds like something I need to try. I’m gonna download Mint and test it out on my box. I have an Athlon X2 4000+, 2G DDR2 ram at 800mhz, M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96. But anyway, I’d say check out this thread: http://ardour.org/node/744
particularly the stuff about the device acting as two separate hardware devices in one box. 404 Not Found sounds like he knows what he’s talking about… and I’d imagine that at this point Mint Linux has a recent enough version of ALSA that should support the Fast Track Pro just fine. I wish I could help you more with the configuration, but I don’t have access to one of those things. Just try however you can to change hardware settings with your sound setup. It should at least be USABLE to record with a live cd, on 2GB of ram. I’ll let you know how it goes with my setup…