Ardour not building on macOS: glibmm-2.4 not installed

I was building Ardour on macOS and exited with the following error after running ./waf configure:

Checking for 'glibmm-2.4' >= 2.32.0
['/opt/local/bin/pkg-config', 'glibmm-2.4 >= 2.32.0', '--cflags', '--libs', 'glibmm-2.4']
err: Package glibmm-2.4 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glibmm-2.4.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glibmm-2.4' found
Package glibmm-2.4 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glibmm-2.4.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'glibmm-2.4' found

I use brew for package management and installed glibmm-2.4 but stills exits with an error.

MacOS Version: Catalina (10.15.7)

Any help would be appreciated.

First I wouldn’t expect support for building Ardour.

Second, using homebrew (Or any package management system on OS X) for package management is not really a good idea. It may work, but you will likely run into issues that you might not otherwise.

Third you need to make sure the development version of the package is installed so you get the appropriate headers etc. And then you may need to direct PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the appropriate location if it can’t find it manually.

Finally I am not sure if anyone has compiled on Catalina, so while you may get beyond that particular error, I am not 100% certain you will get all the way through without having to do some coding yourself.

Seablade

How would I set the environment variables?

Well assuming you are using a terminal to do the compiling, which seems a safe assumption:

EXPORT PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:whateverpathyouneedtoadd

Honestly if you are tripping up on that though, I am not sure if I would recommend trying to compile on OS X. It is easier to learn the basics on Linux and get a successful compile there as you can use package managers there, and compiling Ardour is the easiest step in the process to build it correctly honestly.

Seablade
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.