Ardour littered my system with shit

I installed Ardour to check it out, and is installed a bunch of shit on my system making a mess of everything.

It was a flatpak from the Ubuntu repos.

How do I remove everything? There’s 16 channel mixing something or other, and a bunch of other shit I assume are plugins or something.

We (ardour developers) have no control over what GNU/Linux distros do. You have to ask Ubuntu maintainers.

Flatpak(s) in particular are a problem for pro-audio applications. Since the DAW is sandboxed it cannot access any plugins, unless they are also in the sandbox. One solution put forward by flatpak packagers is to simply include those plugins unconditionally.

For future reference:

binaries from http://ardour.org/download.html install everything under /opt/Ardour-<version> (plus a .desktop launch script) and come with an uninstaller.

13 Likes

Robin, I have huge respect for your calm, attitude, and professionalism! You are a much better person than me… :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Use official binaries or apt if you want a clean install / uninstall. I’ve never used flatpak and now I know why! :smiley:

1 Like

Kudos to Robin for his reply :ok_hand:

2 Likes

And if you want to keep a little track of what’s being put on your system, you can run some commands like these to list what packages and snaps are currently installed, then compare.

list of packages (routed to a date-stamped file)

dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > ~/ubuntu-files.$(date +%Y%m%d.%H%M%S)

list of snaps (routed to a date-stamped file)

snap list > ~/snaplist.$(date +%Y%m%d.%H%M%S)

Chapeau!
My answer would have been on a different tone…

In other words: Thanks Robin, I learned something valuable today

1 Like

flatpaks are supposed to be self-contained by design. Just uninstall it.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.