Ardour + Jamin Mastering

The Invada meter plugin will make your systme and ardour slow, use with caution:

https://ardour.org/node/3294

Disable when not in use.

the Invidia meter has caused me to disconnect from jack MANY times. I only activate when I absolutely need it ( as joegiampaoli already stated)

does anyone know if sonic visualiser will work for this purpose? I have been so buy with other work I haven’t checked, although I have use it for analysing waves, Which it does a great job at.

Japa?

http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/

Japa (JACK and ALSA Perceptual Analyser), is a ‘perceptual’ or ‘psychoacoustic’ audio spectrum analyser.
In contrast to JAAA, this is more an acoustical or musical tool than a purely technical one. Possible uses include spectrum monitoring while mixing or mastering, evaluation of ambient noise, and (using pink noise), equalisation of PA systems.

I’m in agreement with many people here, in that I do not like the sounds I get from Jamin. In particular, the multiband compressors in Jamin sound absolutely hideous to my ears, especially on the low end. Obviously, this is all subjective, so I can’t do much more than say that something about those compressors just sounds ugly.

The last mastering job I did I used linuxDSPs MBC2 multiband compressor as well as his GR-EQ 16 band eq, with a TAP limiter as an emergency cut-off (I don’t like using limiters to do major changes to dynamics. That’s what the compressor is for. The limiter is there to catch those random super-loud sounds). It sounded great. Also, I cannot stress enough how handy JKMeter is for mastering. Everyone should have it. You can find some information on it and a download link at this Studio 64 page:

http://www.64studio.com/howto-mastering

You will have to compile it yourself. It’s not a hard process.

I'm in agreement with many people here, in that I do not like the sounds I get from Jamin. In particular, the multiband compressors in Jamin sound absolutely hideous to my ears, especially on the low end. Obviously, this is all subjective, so I can't do much more than say that something about those compressors just sounds ugly.
I find the only way I can get a hideous sound out of Jamin's compressors is to use control settings that make them sound like that. Conversely, I haven't been prevented by them from getting good sounds. This kind of suggests to me that the LinuxDSP plugins allow a little less rope for users to hang themselves with. Personally I prefer flexibility even if it makes it easier to go wrong, but this is all subjective and YMMV.
This kind of suggests to me that the LinuxDSP plugins allow a little less rope for users to hang themselves with.

This is quite a stretch to make from the various (and entirely not technical) views expressed here. It has nothing to do with flexibility, and everything to do with the fact that a) compressors sound different from each other, and b) in this case, some people are of the opinion that one compressor has a sound they prefer. These statements suggest nothing more than that.

beejunk, my motivation is demonstrating the tools and networking with new people. I’m more interested in meeting musicians than in convincing anyone that a given tool works. My business partners and I have been producing in MPLS, MN since 1984 and using Ardour since 2001.

Oh, you’re based in Minneapolis! We should definitely talk some more. I’d love to see how you’ve incorporated Linux into a pro studio environment. I’ll send you an e-mail so as to not high-jack this thread.