Ardour+Jamin can't save EQ

Hello i’m mastering my track using an insert in the Master for Jamin.

Everything is fine and there is no lag at all but i can’t save the jamin HDEQ “drawing” and changes in a session file .jam
(same for the 30bandEQ)
when i load a session file even in the terminal the HDEQ returned to default.
If i set 3 scenes it saves the compressor the limiter everything for each them but not the EQ

I tried to compile an older version but i could not figured out.

Here there are the main errors when i load and close a session program
Cannot find plugin ‘foo_limiter.so’
(jamin:13239): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2291:18: Using Pango syntax for the font: style property is deprecated; please use CSS syntax
(jamin:13239): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4549:12: not a number
(jamin:13239): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:4549:12: Expected a string.
(jamin:13239): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_grid_attach: assertion ‘width > 0’ failed
(jamin:13239): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from ‘GtkScale’ to ‘GtkHScale’
(jamin:13239): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_draw: assertion ‘!widget->priv->alloc_needed’ failed
(jamin:13239): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_draw: assertion ‘cr != NULL’ failed
(jamin:13155): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_adjustment_get_lower: assertion ‘GTK_IS_ADJUSTMENT (adjustment)’ failed
(jamin:13155): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to ‘GtkWidget’
(jamin:13155): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_queue_draw: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

it looks like it don’t like the pango libraries and ask for some css but i can’t figure out
what needed, it is a library for the fonts, isn’t it?
the drawing widget failed.
I’ve already installed a gtk 2.0 library to compile the old version , i tried to install the gtk3.0 but nothing changed
what can i do?

Hi,

Jamin is pretty much obsolete now, it was the only mastering option in Linux many years ago but it’s capabilities are now better performed by using newer free plugins like those from x42, Calf, EQ10, LSP, Zam Plugins etc. Jamin also has some drawbacks because it’s EQ’s are not interpolated. There are also numerous commercial options like OverToneDSP, Harrison and U-he that are equal to any other platform.

thanks for the answer, actually i found very comfortable the fact that there were so many mastering controls, dinamics and monitors in only 1 window , and i was tricked by the fact that they were still upgrading the versions.
I come from the plugins loaded inside ardour and found myself better with this option, but if there is no solution to this problem, i will jump to the jack host solution to load presets of plugins as insert in the master of ardour.This would be a better way to mastering. Am i right?

Hi,

I personally do all my mastering within Ardour’s Master bus with LV2 and LinuxVST plugins, no need for any external host. I use EQ’s and Compression pre-fader, Spatialization and Limiters post-fader. Others may have a different approach but I think this is the most streamlined way and it gives equal if not better results than any external hosts currently available on Linux.

Jamin, JACK Rack etc are all relying on ancient LADSPA plugins which are possible to get decent results but all development in the past 5+ years has been in LinuxVST and LV2 plugins even to the extent of professional Audio companies getting involved as I mentioned previously. If you’re using Ardour forget about external hosts, you don’t need them at all IMHO.

Worse, jamin introduces distortion of a kind and level that no professional mastering engineer would ever accept. Please don’t use it.

actually i had some trouble with the LV2 plugins, i couldn’t load any of those inside ardour, and even with the LV2rack, it get stuck in the loading (to the lv2tuner). But maybe this is matter for an other topic, thank you guys

OK,

2 questions: What distro are you using, and what version of Ardour?

LV2Rack…? That’s also terribly old and unmaintained for quite some time

i’m on ubuntu studio zesty and Ardour 5 .

i have a low connection and my laptop is not new :frowning:
actually i prefer to work with the jack hosts instead of the ardour plugins because i work with analogic inputs and 2 audio devices for in and out and i find my self better to control a preset of plugins all together, to send effects and amp’s simulation.

Hi,

The age of your laptop shouldn’t make any difference in the ability to properly run and load plugins in Ardour , it of course will make a difference in how many you can run in a session though…

If you prefer hosts, then you would like ‘Carla’ it hosts LV2, LinuxVST, DSSI, LADSPA and with some optional packages even Windows VST Plugins, it is not in Ubuntu’s repositories but it can be added with the KXStudio repositories which work perfectly with Ubuntu and indeed are intended to extend and improve the availability of current Multimedia packages to Ubuntu and Debian users.

Read about Carla: http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla

Read about adding the KXStudio Repositories (do yourself a HUGE favour and install Ardour and the variousPlugins from KXStudio, there are often problems with the stock Ubuntu packaging of both):
http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

• added note… if you got Ardour 5 from here at ardour.org then that is even better

i will thank you very much , i think i’m going to change distro, to many problems ^^

@ tonyzed good idea! things got so much better meanwhile :wink: