ardour,jack and guitarix plus ?'s

If this is the inappropriate place for these questions I am very sorry.I post lots of question so I hope I am not annoying you all and If I am please bear with me,I am a lifelong musician(singer,pianist,guitarist,bassist,singer,songwriter) and this is the first time I have worked with recording software of my own and the first laptop i have ever owned and first time using Linux/ubuntu and btw your guys programs kick microsofts ass.

I just "upgrade from a dell d610 to a toshiba “tecra” which has a faster cp but I am having x-runs when recording into ardour thru jack.I have adjusted settings.It happens the most when I open a jack-program called guitaixIS THIS NORMAL OR IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO FIX IT?

Also other trial by error which isnt really helping or working what effects system and effects would be best for demo recordings of my songs(distortion is biggest problem,i have tried everything i can think of but it still sounds muddy)I will take any suggestions.It w0uld be so appreciated.:slight_smile:
Also when recording/mixing in ardour/JAMin what are the best essential effects for mixing down and recordxing,ie.compression,EQ,reverb,delay ect.

Thank you again and I in advance I really appreciate all you guys(and girls?)who help lost people like me,we seem to be neverending which must be frustrating.Thank you from my heart!

stephenthemartyr{named after the martyr but not a martyr}

PS ANYONE WILLING TO TAKE A LISTEN TO A FEW SONGS AND GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOW THEY SOUND?

If you are getting more XRUNs from jack only when you run particular application(s) e.g. when running guitarix, it may be that you don’t have enough CPU to handle the processing. What specification is your machine e.g. CPU etc. IIRC complex programs like guitarix and jamin can be (necessarily) CPU intensive (although for MANY other reasons I would recommend that you look into alternatives to JAMin)