Ardour is in Russian (or some other Cyrillic)

I’ve just downloaded an installed Ardour (Mac OS 10.14) and it’s all in Russian.

My Mac is set to UK English, and ALL other software works in English.

How do I change it to UK English/British?

It is an odd issue (unrelated to current political affairs) that language detection fails on some macOS systems.

If you manage to find Preferences > Translations, you can disable translations there:

Another option is to open a Terminal Window and run:

LANGUAGE=en_US open /Applications/Ardour6.app

Please take a look in ~/Library/Preferences/Ardour6 and you should find two files, one called stdout.log and the other stderr.log

Please paste the contents of both files to a reply here. One of them will contain the answer.

Brilliant!! Thanks, Robin, I could work it out from your image - worked like a charm.

Re: current political affairs - I know! It freaked me out a bit, I worried I’d downloaded some kind of malicious hack.

Thanks, Paul. Robin’s tip worked for me.

It would have been nice to understand why that was happening. This is a bug that should have been fixed more than a year ago.

Would you mind re-enabling translation, restarting Ardour so that you can see Russian, and then forwarding those two files? This may help other users in the future. Thanks.

Hi Paul,
No worries - here they are. If you need more info, please get back to me.

stdout.log>>>
Disabling MacOS AppNap
LANGUAGE set to en_GB:en:ru
Apple’s CoreFoundation API says that this user’s locale is en_GB
Ardour6.9.0 (собран, используя 6.9, при помощи GCC версии 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664))
Ardour: [INFO]: Your system is configured to limit Ardour to 10240 open files
Ardour: [INFO]: Загрузка файла конфигурации /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/system_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Загрузка файла пользовательской конфигурации /Volumes/Bambleweenie57/Users/REDACTED/Library/Preferences/Ardour6/config
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU vendor: GenuineIntel
Ardour: [INFO]: CPU brand: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @ 3.47GHz
Ardour: [INFO]: Apple VecLib H/W specific optimizations in use
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading plugin meta data file /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/plugin_metadata/plugin_tags
Ardour: [INFO]: Загрузка файла конфигурации UI по умолчанию /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/default_ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Загрузка файла пользовательской конфигурации UI /Volumes/Bambleweenie57/Users/REDACTED/Library/Preferences/Ardour6/ui_config
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading 452 MIDI patches from /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/patchfiles
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading colour file /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/themes/dark-ardour.colors
Ardour: [INFO]: Загрузка файла настройки пользовательского интерфейса /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/clearlooks.rc
Ardour: [INFO]: Loading bindings from /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/ardour.keys
Загрузка файла настройки пользовательского интерфейса /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/clearlooks.rc
Scanning folders for bundled LV2s: /Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/lib/LV2

stderr.log>>>
Сбой установки обработчика ошибок SIGPIPE
2022-06-04 18:27:40.441 Ardour6[24901:4598616] ApplePersistence=NO
Found nothing along /Volumes/Bambleweenie57/Users/REDACTED/Library/Preferences/Ardour6/templates:/Applications/Ardour6.app/Contents/Resources/templates

(Ardour6:24901): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 6 char 1: ‘colin.m.fletcher@googlemail.com’ is not a valid name: ‘@’

(Ardour6:24901): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 6 char 1: ‘colin.m.fletcher@googlemail.com’ is not a valid name: ‘@’

Set cursor set to default
Butler drops pool trash
CoreAudioPCM: device name query failed

BTW - I have absolutely no idea who colin.m.fletcher is!

So for some reason the trailing “ru” is responsible for this.

We do. Among other things, he’s the person responsible the British translation for Ardour. So you get colour instead of color, and analyzers with s.

Colin - sounds like a great fella!

Trailing ru - My system has Russian as a SECOND langunage. I’m a designer, and for a regular client I occasionally need to type a few Russian characters. I’d forgotten (or I’d have mentioned it earlier) about this. I have Russian as an available language and the Russian keyboard as an alternative to the standard. The reason I’d forgotten is becuase this never normally comes up unless I deliberately switch into Russian, once in a blue moon. Surely Ardour should have just ignored this…?

Screenshot 2022-06-06 at 18.15.52

Yes it should have, particularly since the log also includes

Apple’s CoreFoundation API says that this user’s locale is en_GB

and the GB files made by Colin are read. So it’s a bug that Russian was picked.
Thanks for following up! Your information should come in handy to resolve the issue.

Ah, is this bug the reason that my email address gets spammed to the log sometimes?

It is. But I can’t see/tell precisely what the error is. Your name in the .pot file seems OK.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.