Ardour is great for editing podcast/radio features!

This image shows my current editing process for a podcast in Ardour (will link the final piece in “Made with Ardour” once it’s done). I quite like this workflow, so I thought I might share it with anybody else here, interested in “sound montage”/narrative podcasting.

I’ve been asking for help to get this workflow going in this forum, and the kind help of many here has been great.

I now import my tape (usually circa 2 hrs a piece) directly to sources-list rename them, drop them in as new tracks, use range-mode to find the gems (marker a little ahead and a little after, to predict any later needs when editing) and then I select “bounce to source list with out processing”. I then name the tracks and sort my sources list by naming/renaming the various bounced regions and clicking “name” in the top bar of the list-viewer. This way clips like “interview_1 topic_1” will be near “interview_1_topic_1a” to later drop back in the tracks.

Did I mention how much I just keep loving this DAW more and more??

5 Likes

This is absolutely true :sunglasses: I have been using Ardour for professional radio work since Version 4 came out.

For those who would like to explore Ardour’s opportunities: Here is one of my radio projects, two versions of a report from 2018 about the project of French railways SNCF “À vous de jouer”: about pianos on railway stations where everyone can feel free to play. I have used mixing, automation, parametric EQs, pan etc. etc.
Please feel free to download the project folder, open one of the projects and explore all the things that can be done using Ardour :muscle:. Pity for my colleagues who don’t know and spend too much money for their Mac software.

For German users: I once have tried to sum up a procedure to use Ardour for radio and podcast work in German language.

Michael

1 Like

Very cool!
Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
Good to know there are more of us out there !