Ardour freezes then crashes when recording

The problem is exactly what the title says. I’ve just installed Ardour on my gentoo recording machine, and I’ve run into a rather serious problem. When a track is record-armed, and then I press record and play on the main transport controls, the whole screen freezes. After a few seconds, Ardour crashes and quits.

I ran Ardour on the terminal, and repeated the steps necessary to cause the bug again. When I did, the following message printed on the terminal repeatedly:

no space in Ardour-UI request buffer for thread unknown

After printing that at least enough times to fill up the terminal buffer, it finally output the following line:

cannot allocate memory for thread-local data: ABORT

So how do I fix this problem? I’d really like to get started recording with ardour, but obviously this bug is a rather serious impediment.

Where did you get Ardour from? At least one of the “packages” for Gentoo is broken, and to be honest, its getting tiring dealing with complaints from Gentoo users who (naturally) blame us. Most Gentoo users who have shown up on IRC and been told to build their own version directly from the Ardour sources have found that this and a couple of other bugs go away.

I can’t guarantee that this will be the case for you, but its more likely than not.

I got it from the gentoo portage tree. I’ll try building directly from the Ardour sources and see how it goes. Thanks for taking the time to answer.