Ardour Disappeared?

Hi everybody!

I have successfully installed the latest version of Ardour:

Ardour-3.5.357-dbg

After installation nothing found on Applications/Sound&Video menu.

Digging out the system found that @ /opt/Ardour-3.5.357-dbg
ardour was indeed installed.

I did reinstall the package and the icon in the menu appeared.

I restarted the system and the icon still was there.

BUT after shutdown I lost again my application menu entry.

WHAT the hell is going on here.

Please I will much appreciate your help.

Linux 192 3.12-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Sounds like a problem with your specific distribution, but sadly I couldn’t even begin to guess what.

Seablade

Many linux distros have *.desktop files in /usr/share/applications which are used to create menu items. So I’d suggest either fixing or creating a desktop icon for ardour in /usr/share/applications (requires root privileges). If you need to create a desktop file (which are just text files) copy one from another “Sound&Video” application and change the details to fit ardour. Of course you can also start ardour from the command line by giving its full path which is something like /opt/Ardour-3.5.357-dbg/bin/ardour , or, depending on the window manager you use, you could create a “launcher” icon to start Ardour, typically by right clicking on the desktop and selecting “create launcher”.

This is somewhat wierd…
Today its ok… The Ardour Menu Icon is @ Sound&Video pop up menu.
I really dont know what is happening…
Consider it closed this thread.
Thank you very much for your prompt replies.

PS: I hope wont disappear again. Otherwise I will try Edward’s solution

I hope wont disappear again. Otherwise I will try Edward's solution
Edward's solution won't help if it happens again: if the icon is appearing on the menu now, the .desktop file must be already present and correct. If the file gets mysteriously deleted, putting it back may not help if there's a gremlin in the system that wants to delete it again (though I suppose you could set it read only...) Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Indeed re-disappeared. And went to /usr/share/applications and copy paste the shortcut from the application folder.

Lets see what will happend with this :smiley:

Really wierd