Ardour Development Update

Hey there,
I’ve just wondered if there is already a new dev state to tell?
Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you still going to make Win 64bit binary?

I’m sure the windows release won’t be going away any time soon.

1 Like

It’s good to know, cause I use ardour in windows just because I use TX16Wx sampler and there are no SFZ samplers lv2 or vst in Linux with ADSR controls, and I can’t figure out my laptop to work properly on linux, I paid 3 times for Ardour 5.12 and I don’t regret, the difference between the windows version is that it doesn’t freeze when I use more than 4 midi tracks, in windows I can use as many tracks I can.

Hi all! any news on varispeed recording?

Hey, do you mind telling us about the current development?

I’ve seen a very active inrammidi branch in git. Maybe you could say some words about the current development focus? Just interested what’s going on.

2 Likes

I would also like to hear an update about the progress in the development and if possible an estimate when we can expect a new release (spring 2020, autumn 2020, etc). Ardour 5.12 was released more than two years ago 15th September 2017 and I’ve been waiting a new release since :slight_smile:

2 Likes

or when will be beta release

Ardour%206%20progress

@ksawery_treningowski Routing to Ardour 6 should work fine. We have no signal on the “Comments” bus right now though. Should be sorted out…

ardour6 is still set in pre-alpha stage, so it’s not ready for usage. It’s not until it hits alpha stage that users can start to send feedback…

there is one I got some time ago, but it is currently in fixing for ardour/mixbus. Other Linux users are using it but on other daws. The plugin is called “renoise redux” , and it does ADSR plus many other effects…

…the current situation is,
Mixbus: redux works pretty much 90% of the time, but a midi file import crashes this daw.
Ardour: redux can’t even load-up on this daw and crashes immediately.

It has a bit of a learning-curve to adapt to but it has good documentation online for it. It can import SFZ and turn that into an XRNI instrument – though no worry the XRNI format is nothing more than a zip file with a text-based xml and flac samples attached.

Here I get more samples using Polyphone to convert SF2 to SFZ, and then import this into redux …

I reported the issue back a couple of days ago to renoise so I will have to wait a bit until they can respond. So far it’s the only thing feasible that allows me to have decent sampler support on Linux.

There is another a commercial one called Bliss from Disco DSP, but it cost too much for the features that TX16WX offers for free the only issue there’s no TX16WX linux version, I was reading in their forum at KVR an user was asking for a linux version but the main developer isn’t interested for now, if many of us linux users keep the pressure to them at KVR forum he could change his mind cause he said it.

1 Like

Guys, and gals, if any: You’re fantastic. Keep up the good work. I’ll have something for Show and Tell (aka “Made with Ardour”) soon but it’s barely credible that this kind of work is possible with a (as good as) free program.

Really? Does anyone use another browser besides firefox or chrome? Are there any cars out there that do not use Linux and it’s various free tools? (even pulse according to the list of licenses in my car) Even NASA for many things leaving the Earth uses free and open bits. I would have thought it would be the other way around that it would be barely credible that good work was possible on a proprietary… Don’t take me too seriously, I guess this shows that in the audio community, there is lots of good closed sw too.

1 Like

We won’t :wink: @ClausRogge was giving y’all a massive amount of praise. I think he simply means that it is incredible that something available for free (or close to free direct from this website) can do the same as (and, often, more than) other software companies trying to charge an arm and a leg for the same privilege. There has never been a better time to make music with open source tools. I totally agree with him. When you stop and think for a second what is on offer in Ardour, other Linux audio tools and software generally in the open source arena, I can’t help but be amazed. I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to both use Ardour and to recommend it to others without hesitation.

3 Likes

Agreed. I realize I am somewhat biased as I do sometimes add things to Ardour but that is mostly because I too have found it useful for my own use. I record folk to rock, mostly analog inputs, except drums as I have not owned any in a number of years.

1 Like

You, sir, are a genuine fucking hero (referring to the $1 price for people in developing countries). I work in Africa a lot (but I’m Canadian so I happily pay the full price for the Ardour installer) and I’ve seen first-hand how much proprietary software excludes people from low-income countries. I’ve written about the unjust effects of this, and have suggested to several proprietary companies that asked my advice that if they must be proprietary but wish to say they are equitable and inclusive they should make their pricing proportional to GPD per capita in the user’s country.

You, Mr. @paul, are walking the walk. I hadn’t seen this posting before despite being a frequent hobbyist Ardour user, and just came across it by accident when searching for something unrelated. Excuse me while I send a small donation to Ardour, just because I happened to see this and felt like thanking you.

Update: just sent you $25. Thanks for what you do.

7 Likes