Ardour crashes on loading certain projects

Hi there!

I’ve recently come across my old music production hard drive. I used to use Ardour a lot on linux from about 2005 - 2012, recorded a bunch of songs in varying degrees of completeness. I haven’t got a linux machine anymore so I copied all the project files across to my windows 10 surface pro 4. About half of my old projects load fine, but then the other half will crash Ardour on load. I’m wondering if anyone can help me figure out what’s going on with them - if so, just tell me how to best generate info for troubleshooting. I’m really keen to recover these songs and work on them again!

It might be best to open the projects with the same major version they were created with (1.x, 2.x, 3.x). Then you could do 'stem export" to wav files (drums, bass, guitars, vocals all to separate files). After this your files are compatible with anything you want to edit them with.

I routinely do stem exports of my songs nowadays just because of the same problem. I used to use: Cool edit pro, saw+, samplitude, cakewalk, logic, pro tools. Every time I migrated to a new DAW i was faced with the problem of incompatible sessions. The only fool proof way to overcome this is stem export to wav.

If Ardour still crashes when you load the sessions in the latest release (5.11), then can you please create a new report in the bug tracker and attach the Session files that cause the issue. Thanks.