Ardour continually crashing when searching tags

I have started tagging my audio files in Ardour 5.12.0 on AV Linux.
So far I have tagged 11 files with 80bpm, however when searching for 80bpm only 3 results are returned.
If however if I search for drums all 80bpm entries show up. Weird!
Searching for drums,80bpm only returns 3 results, not 11.
Searching for drums,90bpm returns all results entered.
Sometimes searching with more than one tag just crashes ardour.
Also I have one entry at 94bpm which is not returned from a search at all. Using other tag categories does not return it as well. The behavior is crazy. Not consistent.
I just entered 18 tags with 100bpm and all are returned.
Again I then searched for 100bpm,drums and ardour crashes.
When checking the sfdb file all the entries are there. Just some are not returned in a search.

If anyone can help with this issue I would be really grateful.

Am I the only one having problems when searching by tags.
Does anybody else have tag searching working?

Sadly tagging is something I haven’t used in a long time. Because I was dealing with 30k+ sound files to search through I always found it easier to search outside of Ardour. It will have to be looked into, it is possible you have found a bug and it should probably go on Mantis. Especially given it is causing a crash.

Seablade

Hi seablade,
I have just installed ardour 6 and tag searching still crashes ardour.
On looking at the file it is just a text file with a separate line for each tag.
For such a program as ardour it should be something more than a text file.
Having thousands of sample files it is really important to have a working tag search system.
I hope this can be fixed in the next version of ardour 6.
I thought it would be some kind of sqlite database but sadly it isnt.
Parsing the file seems to just crash ardour when searching multiple tags.

Honestly I didn’t remember the TAG searching still being there, but being a text file isn’t necessarily a problem, and one of the design goals of Ardour is that all files should be editable with a text editor to prevent losing access to data. The fact it is a text file may slow it down possibly, how much depends on the system, but the fact it is crashing is a bug either way. Can you create an account on Mantis (tracker.ardour.org) and report the bug along with a recipe to create it (And any necessary files you don’t mind sharing to create it)? That will ensure it doesn’t get lost which it often can here on the forums.

Seablade

I just tested the tagging system on my PC - with Ardour & Mixbus - and none of them crashed, so I can’t help with that.

That being said, the tagging as it is now, is a bit limited in its use imho. It doesn’t search for parts of text, only whole words. And tags ending with a dot (".") are not found - probably because the line in the sfdb file ends with it ?

Also a bit confusing that there is a Tag column in the Sources and Regions tabs of the Editor List. Those tags entered there never make it into the sfdb file.

EDIT: it’s also case-sensitive (on Linux anyway).

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.