Ardour cannot find source files after copying session [SOLVED]

I copied a sessions folder from my Linux Desktop (L1) to Google drive and then downloaded the whole folder onto another Linux machine (L2), but when I open the session in L2, Ardour complains that it cannot find the source files (both wav and mid) in the listed folder. Yet they are there, in the “audiofiles” folder.

I tried reselecting the guilty “audiofiles” folder from the drop down menu, to no effect.
I also tried opening the session without the source files then reimporting them, but Ardour actually copies the file in the same folder and appends a suffix to the filenames, so the tracks are still without the proper sources.

Any idea? Everything worked fine on the first desktop. The only thing I can think of is that the audiofiles folder path has spaces.

Is it possible you moved from a case insensitive to case sensitive file system? Or did the case of the files change at all going through google drive?


EDIT: Fixed insensitive->sensitive direction that might possibly cause such an issue.

SOLVED. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

The issue is the % character that Ardour introduces in the file name when it splits a stereo channel into right and left. Apparently Google Drive strips that character when it zips the files for download, and then Ardour is lost. Interestingly, Drive does not remove the % if you download a single file, it’s the zipping that does it. so the tedious solution was to download 88 files one by one…

Edit: some midi patches were messed up as well, because Drive had replaced the “:” (semicolon) with an underscore. That was easy to fix with a rename command (I guess a smarter man could have used the rename utility on the .wav files too, but that was beyond me)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.