ardour can not create session

I have installed ardour 4, when i try to start a new session ardour complains: “Could not create session in …”. Any idea what could the problem be? Jack is also automatically running, although i though ardour4 doesn’t need jack anymore and can use alsa?

I also get these from my terminal if i start ardour4 from a terminal:
INFO: Loaded mixer bindings from /etc/ardour4/mixer.bindings
INFO: Loading bindings from /etc/ardour4/mnemonic-us.bindings
Loading menus from /etc/ardour4/ardour.menus
ERROR: JACK: Cannot create thread res = 1

i also get this WARNING before ardour says “Could not create session”:

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory. This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory.

You can view the memory limit with ‘ulimit -l’, and it is normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf

Sounds like you are still using the Jack backend, either it is being started before Ardour starts, or you are selecting Jack as the driver in the audio setup dialog as opposed to ALSA. Note that Jack will still use ALSA for the backend by default if selected on Linux, so read the options carefully as ALSA will appear in both sets of options.

If you are going to do this (Which still is recommended) you need to set up proper realtime permissions on your system, which depending on your distro, may just be as simple as adding your user to a specific group, (ie. realtime or audio).

Seablade

ERROR: JACK: Cannot create thread res = 1

The most common mistake leading to this is using jackd with a realtime priority less than 6, or with realtime disabled.

Thanks x42.
I have the same problem and did configure jackd to run realtime in accordance with their article: http://jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

But I still have that error message. What could be the reason?

The most likely problem now is that you did not log out and log back in, assuming you set up group access to realtime scheduling and memor locking.

Hi Paul,

I confirm I even did the lame “Windows” way; just to be sure… I rebooted. No change. Still the same issue.

I’m running Linux Mint 17.2 xfce version 64bit. On the same machine I’m also using Mixxx, Qtraktor and Audicity without any issue.

I’m really lost on why this does not work.

Please join us on IRC. See the “Support” tab at the upper right of this page for details.

In the Audio/Midi setup window under the field Audio System i have only JACK to choose, no ALSA. Have i done something wrong as i have installed ardour? should i reinstall ardour again?

@amir

I am assuming you did not get Ardour4 from here? If not it sounds like whoever packaged your version of Ardour did not include the ALSA backend, in which case you have to either set up Jack correctly or get a build from here. The easiest way to do the former depends on the distro, but since you are on Mint you could try adding your user to either the audio or realtime groups, don’t know for certain what it is called there. For more information on the entire process though see here…
http://jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html

Or you could get the version from here, downloading even the demo version would let you test it, then if it works fine for you pay for the full version.

Seablade