Ardour and Video

The Video involves other people, so I cannot distribute it without their consent. I will have to make a test video.
Although this is not a solution for me anymore,
Best is if I recompile ardour again to see if it is a bug or something else. Maybe it somehow compiled without a dependency.
I doubt it is a problem with the newest ardour. If you can open .mkv containing several audio channels, then the problem is here somewhere. I think .mkv is rugged enough to rule out file specific errors.

Importing a mkv video with multichannnel audio works fine here with a self compiled 8.4 at least, though it’s possible that the old 6.9 was buggy in that regard.
The import creates a single, multichannel track (at least for the LFE-SBR test file I got from Faunhofer: AAC Multichannel Playback Test ) so you need a bit of manual work to separate it into mono tracks :

Right-click on the track and click its name (at the top) and then Edit->Make Mono Regions
If you don’t have the Editor list to the right of the Timeline click View->Editor List
Select the Sources tab there.
Drag each mono source into an empty area in the Timeline
Select all the tracks, right-click and select Edit->Align

Ardour comes with “ACE 5.1 to Stereo” plugin (a Lua script), this can be directly added to the 6 channel audio track and should do the right thing™ for the AAC Multichannel Playback Test… YMMV.

Yeah, that seems to work as far as playback and getting the audio positioned correctly in the stereo space goes.
I presume, though, that retnev wants each track separated; to be able to process them individually.

I do see that if you have a video with several separate audio tracks, each with their own ID (think movie with an additional commentary track) as opposed to one multichannel track, then you can’t import them all in the Open Video menu.
You only get the option to choose one of them.

If you need them all, you can use “open video” multiple times, and then pick “Do not import video, Audio import only”.

Then again Ardour is intended to create a film soundtrack. There is not usually any audio for the video file to begin with.

I’m not actually working in that space, but from following others who do on YT, it seems as though there might be WIP dialog / foley audio included in some cases, to allow the music director / sound designer / composer to anticipate how the score interacts with them.

1 Like

Paul never called you an idiot. Don’t put words in his mouth. That really riles me.

See what I did there? :wink: It is best to assume positive intent on forums. Whereas you felt Paul was “putting words in your mouth”, I felt he merely provided a concise explanation why Ardour and Mixbus lack the capabilities you seek, i.e. they are audio editors versus video editors. If you felt he was calling you an idiot, I think you are projecting something that wasn’t there. My take.

2 Likes