Ardour and various videos (SOLVED)

Hi all,

I would like to know if it is possible to open multiple videos in the same session.

I want to use LTC sync to play music on a PC and at the same time Ardor automatically plays the corresponding video.

Videos preloaded sequentially.

Ardour does not:

• allow for more than one video to be loaded at a time.
  • provide video editing capabilities

from The Ardour Manual

1 Like

Thanks for your quick response.
I wasn’t talking about video editing.
only to load sequentially
I don’t want to do to make a 50gb video :sweat_smile:
regards.

Maybe you do not need Ardour in the first place…

xjadeo (the video monitor Ardour uses) can sync to LTC and can be remote controlled (via OSC or commandline) to load different videos.

Also Ardour usually uses a proxy video (smaller geometry, every frame a keyframe to seek reliably), you likely want to avoid that, too.

Investigaré más detenidamente xjadeo
Gracias por la sugerencia

Marco el hilo como resuelto

Start with xjadeo -R --ltc then type help for the interactive interface mode.

e.g. on xjadeo’s commandline interface load a [new] video like this:

load /path/to/the/video-file.mp4

–

Alternatively via OSC: start xjadeo --ltc --osc 1234 and the send commands via OSC. e.g:

oscsend osc.udp://localhost:1234 /jadeo/load s /path/to/the/video-file.mp4

check xjadeo --osc-doc for available commands.

PS. jackd needs to be running, and you have to connect the LTC source to xjadeo:ltc-input

1 Like

Incredible, without this explanation it would be totally out of my reach.
it will also take me some time to understand the process
Thank you

However large the file you have is, rendering out a 480p/q32 version of it is probably bearable?

I just had a situation where we shot > 10 HD clips and did a multichannel recording at the same time.
What I did in order to get going quickly was to concatenate all the clips with ffmpeg before importing them, align my audio regions with the sync handclaps in the cam sound, and I was ready to start mixing down. Now I’m exporting the whole thing to let the artists chose their favourite takes, and then I’ll do edits. Final step: bounce only the selected parts, with video.
http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

1 Like

Dear Robin,
What is the command that Ardor executes to convert a video with compression? when I convert Ardor the quality drops considerably
however I convert mp4, mkv or webm, with ffmpeg to avi
and I open the avi file with ardor as it saves it in higher quality

Sorry my bad english

You can check that there is a checkbox “Debug Mode: Print ffmpeg command and output to stdout.” in the Video Import dialog.

That is intentional. Ardour downscales the video to a proxy, and uses a mjpeg codec where every frame is a keyframe. This allows to reliably seek with minimal delay and minimizes CPU overhead, retaining system-resources for sound-design.

When exporting the result, the original video is used (no quality loss).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.